Font size in browser windows and sub-windows

Joe R.

Mar 20, 2012, 7:57:29 AM3/20/12
to mozilla-labs-testpilot
Hi all. This is my first message in this group, so I'm just getting
used to the protocol here.

I'm running Firefox 11.0 under Win 7 (current updates) 64-bit, plenty
of RAM.

Despite my attempts to set font size to one that's comfortable for my
eyes, it either doesn't stick or is forcibly over-ridden by the host
site the browser is getting the HTML/XHTML from (or Javascript?
Whatever).

The Zoom function works--although it is annoying to have to repeatedly
re-set every page to the same size again and again--but that does NOT
offer a solution for sub-windows that the page requires or causes to
pop-up.

I believe this is most likely a Windows issue that Firefox is trying
to work with or around. Why? I'm having s similar problem with
Oracle's OpenOffice: the main Windows can be set however I like, but
the sub-windows retain the default settings which are uncomfortably
small--and there is nothing that can be done to get them to accept the
settings established for the main window (on the smaller scale).

As a programmer (albeit long, long ago), I understand what the problem
is, why it is--and how inexcusable the current situation is. But then,
I favor meticulous code at very low levels, worked on OS design
generally in assembly language. Slow, definitely not cost-effective
these days, and I suspect a lost art. You see it with communications
drivers, real-time sub-routines, and viruses. A lethal plate of
delicacies (I specialized in bi-synch communication drivers for the
NYSE, initially, but that was decades ago). But the kind of sloppy,
disconnected half-baked solutions we see coming out of software chop-
shops appears to be the result, and as a (sic) consumer it is *very*
frustrating.

So those are my observations, with a fair bit of opinion thrown in for
vernal spice (happy Spring, everybody). Anyone have a solution to
suggest? A different perspective to offer?

And most important, how can this be applied to help Firefox: I suspect
(but do not know) that this problem has its origins in Windows itself.
can anyone confirm this? Refute it? I'm sure I'm not the only person
who is seriously troubled by this issue--my vision is not great, but
there are folks who are very nearly blind and for them, these issues
are absolute show stoppers--I just have to take my glasses off and
move to an inch or two away from the screen.

Thanks for your (forthcoming) thoughts,

Joe R.
Message has been deleted