Any Answers for Portable Shortcuts

30 visninger
Gå til det første ulæste opslag

DavidWeb

ulæst,
25. jul. 2011, 07.31.2625.07.2011
til mozilla-labs-prism
I too want to install a Prism app on a USB flash drive, so someone can
click on the link on the flash drive and go directly to the Prism app.

I've seen a couple of questions here on this, but no answers yet.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks!

David

DavidWeb

ulæst,
26. jul. 2011, 10.31.2826.07.2011
til mozilla-labs-prism
NEW INFORMATION about PRISM REPLACEMENT:

Okay, everyone, I've found what may be as close to a solution as we're
going to get.

First, Prism won't hack it. You can't make it portable, and you can't
bundle it on a CD or Flash drive so it works as a SSB (single site
browser).

However, what we CAN do is work around it with OPERA. Here's how:

Download the portable version of Opera and install it on your Flash
Drive (or whereever you want this portable app to be located).

Next, create a shortcut to your portable installation, with a
parameter to open up your target wesite, like this:

......... \OperaPortable\OperaPortable.exe http://www.targetwebsite.com/targetpage.html

Finally, click on your shortcut to open your website, then delete
EVERY page element in the browser window. Do this by right clicking on
each element, then from the context menu, select Customize/Remove from
browser.

In Opera (and I think also in Firefox) you can delete every element on
the page except the frame and the website content.

That's it. You're done. Close the browser window, and the next time
you open it by clicking on your shortcut, you should see the Opera
equivalent of a Prism App, except this one is totally portable! And it
should work with PCs, Macs, and Linux as well.

Good luck, everyone. Post here if this worked for you.

David

Joost Ringoot

ulæst,
28. jul. 2011, 04.34.4328.07.2011
til mozilla-labs-prism
Nice work DavidWeb,

I hope this concurrent opera solution can push the prism development
team a bit.
I would really like to use it for what I expected it to be: convert a
website into a portable app.
For the user accounts I administer: I would like them to have
shortcuts that go to intranet websites. It is important that this
browser stays clean from plugins. And that their main browser may
crash on a bad flash app and their intranet website doesn't hang with
it, causing possible bad content in the database that works as back
end for the website.

I find it cumbersome to mass deploy prism applications, system aliases
like "~", $HOME and $USER are not accepted in the prism config files.

DavidWeb

ulæst,
28. jul. 2011, 07.13.4728.07.2011
til mozilla-labs-prism
That's interesting Joost;

Yet another good business app for portable SSBs. Prism is a Single-
Site-Browser, as is Bubbles, but neither of them works at all as a
portable app.

I was looking for a portable SSB for my Kofive project, which I'm in
the end stages of developing; it's a technology that allows my website
clients to edit their own content easily, without being able to get
into the site and mess up the other parts of it.

Sure, I know CMSs do that, but Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, and others
are far too involved, far too difficult (for me, at least) to
customize to look like the websites I design yet still give the owner
the ability to edit their own content.

Hence Kofive. Kofive comes on a USB flash drive. They simply insert
the flash drive and run the menu. One of the items on the menu is
"VIEW YOUR SITE," which is where I needed the portable SSB.

Until we find something better, OperaPortable will fill that need.

I wonder how many other legitimate business needs there are out there
for a portable SSB? Prism development community, are you listening?

David

James Mulvaney

ulæst,
29. jul. 2011, 01.38.4829.07.2011
til mozilla-l...@googlegroups.com
I take you guy's are not aware that Prism is no longer in development.

Instead, it lives on under its original name Webrunner.

Visit here....

I am sure you can then raise these questions and seek advice via the forum.  http://www.salsitasoft.com/webrunner/

Rgds
JAMES MULVANEY