F1 release candidate on the staging server

James Burke

Mar 9, 2011, 6:16:57 PM3/9/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
We have a release candidate available up on http://f1.mozillamessaging.com

Uninstall the F1 add-on, then go to the above URL to install the new
add-on. Test away.

Once done *UNINSTALL THE ADD-ON*. The add-on on the staging site is
wired to talk to the more unstable staging box (vs. the production
box), and it does not auto-update itself.

If things look good we will be pushing out this release tomorrow.

Highlights with this release:

* Allow multiple accounts per service.
* Better autocomplete.
* Faster share feel by closing the panel on the start of share.
* Better sharing of videos on Facebook.
* Better handling of when server is not available/browser offline.

James

James Burke

Mar 9, 2011, 6:18:39 PM3/9/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Ugh, the staging server URL is http://f1-staging.mozillamessaging.com,

the one below is actually the production server. Sorry about that.

James

James Burke

Mar 10, 2011, 12:12:23 AM3/10/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
One thing I noticed testing the currently released 0.7.6 F1 add-on
against the new server code: it closes the panel immediately when the
share button is pushed, but the button does not animate (as expected,
it does not have the F1 animation icons). The share completes
successfully though.

Although if there is an error (like sending to "mom"), there is no
error indicator. So, no feedback in the cases the error failed unless
they happen to reopen the share panel.

Other than that, 0.7.6 works well with the latest code. It is a bit
unfortunate though about the errors not getting displayed. So until
the user updates the F1 add-on, they could have a sub-par experience.

I am leaning towards pushing the release. I expect most users are
early adopters and watching the blog and as such will update. Judging
from the statistics page[1] the 0.7.5 to 0.7.6 updates happened very
quickly, about a day or two (however, funny how much old 3.6 users we
have that still run 0.7.3 relative to ff4/0.7.6).

I will wait to push to shadow in case we want to hold off on a release
because of this issue. Bryan, your input on if it is a blocker is
appreciated.

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/statistics/addon/252539

James

James Burke

Mar 10, 2011, 11:05:43 AM3/10/11
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:12 PM, James Burke <jrb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although if there is an error (like sending to "mom"), there is no
> error indicator. So, no feedback in the cases the error failed unless
> they happen to reopen the share panel.

I went ahead and just fixed the issue, the change is low risk, in the web code:
https://github.com/mozilla/f1/commit/8a11af9a7537ca73ea5c5e421fb569813536996d

The code is up on staging, and I'll push to shadow after I get into
the office today.

James