yahoo mail embedded images support

Bryan Clark

Mar 2, 2011, 11:58:23 AM3/2/11
to mozilla...@googlegroups.com
Hey -

Just wanted to send out a quick note on the Yahoo! Mail embedded images
support. Currently we support embedding the image / thumbnail of a site
when people send links via GMail, try it if you don't know what I'm
talking about. In GMail we use the python email MIME modules to create
the necessary multipart mess required to deliver an inline image
attachment. I had looked into supporting this same feature for Yahoo
mail but have decided to give up after some investigation and wanted to
quickly explain why.

Quick Summary:

The Yahoo Mail Web Service requires an upload of any attachment we would
like to use before including that attachment in the message part.

Longer Explanation:

Using the UploadAttachment method you are returned a reference which
looks like this: "upload://diskfilename", that reference can then be
used as part of your ComposeMessagePart to create a message with inline
image attachments. Instead of a single call to the Yahoo Mail Web
Services we would be required to make two synchronous calls, one to
upload, then one to push the actual message through.

While doing two calls is possible, (future versions where the server is
mostly asynchronous may want to examine the possibility) currently our
Yahoo usage is low and the extra complexity doesn't seem worth the cost
right now.

If in the future someone wants to pick up this work it should be fairly
straightforward to continue with the feature/yahoo-images branch that exist.

Cheers,
~ Bryan

Relevant Links:

UploadAttachment method:
http://developer.yahoo.com/mail/docs/user_guide/UploadAttachment.html

ComposeMessagePart docs:
http://developer.yahoo.com/mail/docs/user_guide/ComposeMessagePart.html

feature/yahoo-images branch on github
https://github.com/mozilla/f1/commits/feature%2Fyahoo-images

Yahoo! Mail embedded image support issue
https://github.com/mozilla/f1/issues/51/