Update on Profile Location

James Socol

Jun 11, 2012, 9:44:31 PM6/11/12
to mozilla-dev-c...@googlegroups.com
We're working hard to get Location data in profiles by the end of the quarter. Here's a brief update on where we are as of today:
  • The original bug ballooned to be too big for one bug. It's become a tracker. It has many blockers. We'll add more as we pull details and mockups out of the original.
  • You can see a graph of what's "left" (keeping in mind that it's never really finished).
  • But a key part, allowing users to enter location data in their profile, landed today, on time for the 2012-06-20 train.
  • Now we need to make it easier to get that data back out (via search, location-based pages, API, etc).

Obviously, this is a very small first into what we can do with Geolocation data, but it's a significant first step, a bit of a Black Triangle. Now we can do a lot more. And it gets us in great shape for Base Camp.

Aakash Desai

Jun 11, 2012, 11:41:08 PM6/11/12
to mozilla-dev-c...@googlegroups.com
This is great work; what comes out of this first step is going to mean a lot to our community as the rest of these pieces fill out.

How? Well, we're embarking on a major, major effort with Kilimanjaro. We can't do it without our community and, specifically, in Brazil and Argentina. Location in the Phonebook will help Mozillians find, communicate and direct a ground game in those countries and many others initiatives from the Engagement team to make this initiative a success.

If we do this right, we're going to be make sure the Mozilla Community is shown to the world as the greatest driving force in making the web free, open and innovative.

Keep on rockin',
Aakash