IDE won't launch

Pete

Aug 2, 2007, 11:48:58 AM8/2/07
to Movable Python
I'm enjoying using movable python so far. Kudos to Micheal !

However, I have a problem: When I press the "IDE" button, the
graphic Tk splash window with VISIT/CONTINUE shows up. I press
CONTINUE, and the window closes, but nothing further appears to
happen.

I'm using Movable Python 2.0.0. with Python 2.3.5 demo. OS is WinXP.
I configured the program with Configure --> Choose IDE and selected
pythonwinIDE.py.

I've gathered the following clues:

1) The interactive interpreter works fine.

2) If I go into movpy\lib\pythonwin and double-click on either
pythonwinIDE.py or Pythonwin.exe the IDE starts (build 232)

3) If, instead, I Configure -> Choose IDE and select Pythonwin.EXE I
get the old build of the IDE (163) from my desktop.

I suspect a path problem of some sort, but before I mess things up,
I'd like some guidance.

Thanks and Regards,
Pete

Michael Foord

Aug 2, 2007, 6:36:50 PM8/2/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
Pete wrote:
> I'm enjoying using movable python so far. Kudos to Micheal !

Hello Pete,

Thank you.

> However, I have a problem: When I press the "IDE" button, the
> graphic Tk splash window with VISIT/CONTINUE shows up. I press
> CONTINUE, and the window closes, but nothing further appears to
> happen.
>
> I'm using Movable Python 2.0.0. with Python 2.3.5 demo. OS is WinXP.
> I configured the program with Configure --> Choose IDE and selected
> pythonwinIDE.py.

Hmmm... this is odd. I have just downloaded the demo (lost my original
for some reason and downloading was quicker than compiling a new one).
The IDE button works fine for me on WinXP with Python 2.3 also installed...

Is there any reason why you are sticking with build 163 on your machine?
It still *shouldn't* be a problem but it is the only obvious difference.

> I've gathered the following clues:
>
> 1) The interactive interpreter works fine.
>
> 2) If I go into movpy\lib\pythonwin and double-click on either
> pythonwinIDE.py or Pythonwin.exe the IDE starts (build 232)

Build 232?

Do you mean here that Pythonwin works if you run pythonwinIDE.py with
your installed version of Python?

If that is what you mean could you try running pythonwinIDE.py with
Movable Python (by selecting the file instead of using the IDE button).

> 3) If, instead, I Configure -> Choose IDE and select Pythonwin.EXE I
> get the old build of the IDE (163) from my desktop.

The executable probably uses the registry entries - which Movable Python
doesn't.

Could you put the three magic imports at the start of "Pythonwin.py" to
see if that makes a difference.

All the best,

Michael
http://www.ironpython.info/

Pete

Aug 6, 2007, 11:15:06 AM8/6/07
to Movable Python
start of PythonwinIDE.py . See below if interested in more details
and the specific answers to your questions.

On Aug 2, 6:36 pm, Michael Foord <fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > I'm enjoying using movable python so far. Kudos to Micheal !
>
> Hello Pete,
>
> Thank you.
>
> > However, I have a problem: When I press the "IDE" button, the
> > graphic Tk splash window with VISIT/CONTINUE shows up. I press
> > CONTINUE, and the window closes, but nothing further appears to
> > happen.
>
> > I'm using Movable Python 2.0.0. with Python 2.3.5 demo. OS is WinXP.
> > I configured the program with Configure --> Choose IDE and selected
> > pythonwinIDE.py.
>
> Hmmm... this is odd. I have just downloaded the demo (lost my original
> for some reason and downloading was quicker than compiling a new one).
> The IDE button works fine for me on WinXP with Python 2.3 also installed...
>
> Is there any reason why you are sticking with build 163 on your machine?
> It still *shouldn't* be a problem but it is the only obvious difference.

I have a fair number of programs written and didn't want to risk
"breaking" them at this particular juncture. However, I will upgrade
soon and report the results.

> > I've gathered the following clues:
>
> > 1) The interactive interpreter works fine.
>
> > 2) If I go into movpy\lib\pythonwin and double-click on either
> > pythonwinIDE.py or Pythonwin.exe the IDE starts (build 232)
>
> Build 232?

In PythonWin, I select Help-->About-->About PythonWin and it says
"Active Python build 232"

> Do you mean here that Pythonwin works if you run pythonwinIDE.py with
> your installed version of Python?

Yes. I guess that is what I meant. I hadn't thought enough about it
to realize I was using my installed version.

> If that is what you mean could you try running pythonwinIDE.py with
> Movable Python (by selecting the file instead of using the IDE button).

I ran pythonwinIDE.py from movable Python by selecting the file as you
suggest.
I got "ImportError: DLL load failed..."

> > 3) If, instead, I Configure -> Choose IDE and select Pythonwin.EXE I
> > get the old build of the IDE (163) from my desktop.
>
> The executable probably uses the registry entries - which Movable Python
> doesn't.
>
> Could you put the three magic imports at the start of "Pythonwin.py" to
> see if that makes a difference.

This works ! Thanks very much. In a reflective moment, when I was
away from my computer, I had considered trying this. Your suggestion
made me do it.

> All the best,
>
> Michaelhttp://www.ironpython.info/

> > I suspect a path problem of some sort, but before I mess things up,
> > I'd like some guidance.
>
> > Thanks and Regards,

> > Pete- Hide quoted text -

Michael Foord

Aug 6, 2007, 11:21:23 AM8/6/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
Pete wrote:
> start of PythonwinIDE.py . See below if interested in more details
> and the specific answers to your questions.

Thanks for bearing with Movable Python on this one. The 'magic import'
problem is very perplexing and I have never heard a reasonable explanation!

I will add the imports to the PythonwinIDE.py file so that other people
don't have the same problem.

All the best,

Michael Foord
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml