numpy failure

Kevin Horton

Apr 5, 2007, 8:26:03 AM4/5/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the numpy zip file. It does not work for me, however. An attempt to load pylab, with it set to use numpy, fails like:

Filename: "C:\Documents and Settings\hortonk\Desktop\Python\scripts\FT_Data_Review\Flt_Test_Data_Review_wx.py"
Date: Thu Apr 05 08:09:20 2007

[err] Traceback (most recent call last):
[err] File "main.py", line 947, in ?
[err] File "Flt_Test_Data_Review_wx.py", line 23, in ?
[err] File "C:\Documents and Settings\hortonk\Desktop\Python\scripts\FT_Data_Review\GUI.py", line 27, in ?
[err] File "C:\Documents and Settings\hortonk\Desktop\Python\scripts\FT_Data_Review\ftdata.py", line 3, in ?
[err] File "C:\Documents and Settings\hortonk\Desktop\Python\movpy-2.0.0-py2.4.4\movpy\lib\pylab.py", line 1, in ?
[err] File "C:\DOCUME~1\hortonk\Desktop\Python\MOVPY-~1.4\movpy\lib\matplotlib\pylab.py", line 196, in ?
[err] File "C:\DOCUME~1\hortonk\Desktop\Python\MOVPY-~1.4\movpy\lib\matplotlib\cm.py", line 5, in ?
[err] File "C:\DOCUME~1\hortonk\Desktop\Python\MOVPY-~1.4\movpy\lib\matplotlib\colors.py", line 33, in ?
[err] File "C:\DOCUME~1\hortonk\Desktop\Python\MOVPY-~1.4\movpy\lib\matplotlib\numerix\__init__.py", line 66, in ?
[err] File "C:\DOCUME~1\hortonk\Desktop\Python\MOVPY-~1.4\movpy\lib\numpy\__init__.py", line 36, in ?
[err] File "C:\DOCUME~1\hortonk\Desktop\Python\MOVPY-~1.4\movpy\lib\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 5, in ?
[err] ImportError: DLL load failed: Access is denied.

I get the same error if I try "import numpy" in iPython, so my script, or the matplotlibrc file, are not the cause of the the problem.

Line 5 in lib\numpy\core\__init__.py is "import multiarray". There is a multiarray.pyd in lib/numpy/core/, and it seems to have similar permissions to other files that load without error. I'm not sure where to look for the DLL - is it embedded in multiarray.pyd, or is it hiding somewhere else?

Note: I do not have administrator privileges on this computer, which is why I am using movpy instead of a "normal" python distribution.

Kevin Horton

JimC

Apr 5, 2007, 3:10:02 PM4/5/07
to Movable Python

It worked for me, using movpy-2.0.0-py2.4.4 on XP (as a non-admin
user).

Could it be finding another copy of the dll somewhere?

-Jim C.

Kevin Horton

Apr 5, 2007, 3:27:51 PM4/5/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com

Maybe, but I have no idea where to look, or how to find which DLL it is trying to load. I tried doing 'import numpy' in iPython, after setting its exception reporting mode to verbose, but it didn't give any more info.

I've made some changes to my app so it can run with numarray rather than numpy. I'll be out of the office for the next week, and won't have access to this PC, so I won't be doing any more troubleshooting until the 16th.

Kevin

Michael Foord

Apr 5, 2007, 6:19:27 PM4/5/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
Kevin Horton wrote:
> Thanks for the numpy zip file. It does not work for me, however. An attempt to load pylab, with it set to use numpy, fails like:

Rats. It works for me as well. Not sure what the problem could be. It's
obviously *something* to do with reduced permissions.

It might be worth trying from a path that doesn't have spaces in it...

The dll will be the 'pyd' file (probably), which is just a dll in disguise.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/index2.shtml

Kevin Horton

Apr 5, 2007, 7:14:30 PM4/5/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
On 5 Apr 2007, at 18:19, Michael Foord wrote:

> Kevin Horton wrote:
>> Thanks for the numpy zip file. It does not work for me, however.
>> An attempt to load pylab, with it set to use numpy, fails like:
>>

> Rats. It works for me as well. Not sure what the problem could be.
> It's
> obviously *something* to do with reduced permissions.
>
> It might be worth trying from a path that doesn't have spaces in it...

OK, I'll try from a path without spaces next time I am in front of
that computer, which won't be for over a week. I'll report back.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada