Where is iPython?

Kevin Horton

Mar 8, 2007, 11:38:37 AM3/8/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
I've got movpy2.0.0-py2.4.4. I'd like to set up a QuickLaunch button to launch iPython. But, I cannot find the ipython script. Where is it hiding?

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Kevin Horton

Mar 8, 2007, 1:23:51 PM3/8/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:38:37 -0500
Kevin Horton <khor...@rogers.com> wrote:

> I've got movpy2.0.0-py2.4.4. I'd like to set up a QuickLaunch button to launch iPython. But, I cannot find the ipython script. Where is it hiding?

Ahh. I see that I get iPython by clicking the '>>>' button. I somehow expected that to give the interactive python interpreter.

Kevin

Michael Foord

Mar 9, 2007, 8:17:34 AM3/9/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
There is an option to switch that button to a normal interpreter (IPOFF).

You can then use one of your quick launch buttons for IPython.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml

> Kevin

Kevin Horton

Mar 9, 2007, 8:43:23 AM3/9/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
On 9 Mar 2007, at 08:17, Michael Foord wrote:

> Kevin Horton wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:38:37 -0500
>> Kevin Horton <khor...@rogers.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I've got movpy2.0.0-py2.4.4. I'd like to set up a QuickLaunch
>>> button to launch iPython. But, I cannot find the ipython
>>> script. Where is it hiding?
>>>

>> Ahh. I see that I get iPython by clicking the '>>>' button. I
>> somehow expected that to give the interactive python interpreter.
>>

> There is an option to switch that button to a normal interpreter
> (IPOFF).
>
> You can then use one of your quick launch buttons for IPython.

Thanks for the info that I can switch the >>> button to the normal
interpreter. I'll try that.

That will bring me back to my original problem though. If I want to
use a quick launch button of iPython I will need to specify the
location of the iPython script. But I haven't yet figured out where
it is hiding.

I won't be back in front of my Windows machine until Tuesday, so I'll
dig some more then.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Michael Foord

Mar 9, 2007, 8:57:41 AM3/9/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
Right. The IPython support is built into Movable Python - so I don't
think I distribute it with Movable Python.

You can get at an IPython prompt by creating a script with :

import IPython
from movpy import libdir
sys.argv = sys.argv[:1] + ['-ipythondir', libdir] + sys.argv[1:]
IPython.Shell.start().mainloop()

I hope that helps.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml

> Kevin Horton
> Ottawa, Canada

Kevin Horton

Mar 9, 2007, 9:03:57 AM3/9/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com

OK. I'll give that a go next week.

I think it would be nice to include such a script with Movable
Python. I suspect I am not the only one who would want easy access
to both the normal python interpreter and ipython. Normally I use
ipython, but I need the normal interpreter if I want to copy some
output to put in the docstrings for a doctest.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Kevin Horton

Mar 13, 2007, 12:55:45 PM3/13/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com

I tried this, but the script opens a window, then the window closes
immediately. Any ideas?

Also, is PyCrust included somewhere?

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Kevin Horton

Mar 13, 2007, 1:03:35 PM3/13/07
to Kevin Horton, mo...@googlegroups.com

I found PyCrust, and added it to Quick Launch. What other gems are
hiding in the midst of all these folders?

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Kevin Horton

Mar 13, 2007, 1:15:00 PM3/13/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com

OK, I got iPython added to the Quick Launch:

1. You have to check the "b" box in the configure dialog, to keep the
window open.

2. I needed to add an "import sys" to the script.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada

Michael Foord

Mar 13, 2007, 1:22:37 PM3/13/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com
That's great feedback. Do you need to check 'b' even if you have added
'import sys' ? (I would expect not.)

Thanks

Kevin Horton

Mar 13, 2007, 3:26:36 PM3/13/07
to mo...@googlegroups.com

I hadn't thought to try before, but I just confirmed that the 'b' does not need to be checked if the script has 'import sys'. But it was needed to allow the window to stay open so I could see the errors before the script was correct.

For the record, in case someone else is looking for PyCrust, PyWrap, PyFill et al, they are found in:

movpy/lib/wx-2.8-msw-unicode/wx/py/

I'm still trying to figure out how to get PyWrap working. On OS X I would open XTerm, and do "pywrap some_script_name.py", and it would open up in PyCrust. How do I do that in Movable Python without changing the Quick Launch args each time I want a different script?

Kevin Horton