Invitation to Sarah Fdili Alaoui’s HDR defense - March 22nd at 2PM

sarah.fd...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2023, 7:49:30 AM3/7/23
to Movement and Computing

Dear Colleagues, Dear Friends,

I am pleased to announce the defense of my  Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches (HDR), entitled :  « Dance-led Research »

It will take place on Wednesday, March 22, 2023, at 2 p.m.

Amphitheater, Building 660, LISN, Paris-Saclay University.

The defense will also be streamed on Youtube via the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/live/Z4_3okcFInM?feature=share

 Abstract :

My habilitation narrates my past ten years of dance-led research in

Human-Computer Interaction and Interaction Design, where dance

practice served as the experimental frame through which I designed

and integrated interactive systems. I address two main questions:

  • How does the integration of technologies in dance operate?
  • What types of opportunities, understandings, tensions, and discourses emerge from such integration?

The habilitation emphasizes my epistemological journey from quantitative methodologies to research through practice to

research-creation. These distinct methodologies allowed me to

design a series of interactive systems spanning from generic ones for

dance movement analysis to systems grounded in dance artists’ practices and systems designed for my own personal choreographic work. This journey also involved progressively letting my personal subjective voice come through in my academic work.

Jury :

  • Kristina Höök, University of KTH, Stockholm, Reviewer
  • Peter Dalsgaard, University of Aarhus, Reviewer
  • Atau Tanaka, Goldsmidth University of London, Reviewer
  • Fabienne Martin-Juchat,  University of Grenoble, Examiner
  • Caroline Appert,  CNRS, Université Paris Saclay, President

Best wishes,

Sarah Fdili Alaoui