[meetings] Robotics and Art @ ICRA '24: Call for Sign-ups

Amy LaViers

Apr 17, 2024, 9:08:09 AMApr 17
to movement...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

Please consider joining us at ICRA '24 (online or in Yokohama, Japan) on Friday May 17 for a workshop on robotics and art with a mini-tutorial on movement notation funded by an AI infrastructure grant from the National Science Foundation.

The day will begin with an invited talk from Catie Cuan and Ken Goldberg, joint between our workshop "Speed-dating to long-term relationships: Art-robot Residencies Enabled by Common Language" as well as a related workshop on choreographic swarms. We will continue with paired artist/roboticists talks from Dan Koditschek and Kat McDermott, Mark Yim and Simon Kim, and Monica Thomas on her work with Boston Dynamics. Each talk will discuss past or ongoing residencies by artists in robotics labs.

We will then have an exciting "match-making" opportunity where we encourage cross-disciplinary interactions and perhaps seed new collaborations via a "speed-dating" activity. Then, pairs will learn about movement notation for describing and choreographing movement on natural and artificial platforms while engaging in a creative activity designed to provide an example of interdisciplinary work and perhaps even a jumping off point for new work.

The workshop will conclude with break out sessions where potential new collaborators will begin crafting ideas to compete for one of the seed-funding stipends (we have $1500 committed so far). The day ends with dinner between our workshop and the choreographic swarms workshop where we know there will be much commonality to discuss and build on!

Please fill out our interest (sign-up) form before the event here (we will use these emails to send virtual attendance links): https://forms.gle/xLHiTDsSnWqK9FxZ8
See more information on our workshop website here: https://roboticart.org/icra-2024-workshop/
And also note the parallel workshop running the same day: https://roboticart.org/icra2024/

We look forward to a great event -- please contact me directly (a...@theradlab.xyz) with any questions.

Best,
Amy on behalf of our team of organizers:

Meghna Gummadi, CIS, GRASP Lab, University of Pennsylvania (meg...@seas.upenn.edu)
Damith Herath, Information, Technology, and Systems, University of Canberra (damith...@canberra.edu.au)
Diedra Krieger, Artist / Grizzly Grizzly / ESE, University of Pennsylvania (die...@seas.upenn.edu)
Amy LaViers, RAD Lab (a...@theradlab.xyz)
Sang-won Leigh, Georgia Tech / Samsung Design Innovation Center (sang....@design.gatech.edu)
Nikkita Staggs, Independent Artist (nikkit...@gmail.com)
Rachelle Tscahor, Theater and Music, University of Illinois – Chicago (rtsa...@uic.edu)
James Wang, Computer Science, Penn State (jw...@ist.psu.edu)

Amy LaViers
Director
Robotics, Automation, and Dance (RAD) Lab