MoveIt! back to answers.ros.org?

Isaac Isao Saito-Yanagisawa

Jan 18, 2016, 9:49:55 PM1/18/16
to moveit...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to casually suggest that why not go back using http://answers.ros.org/ for the questions?

Email threads is easier to get updates. Sure. But I must say this ping-pong conversation makes it way harder for answer seekers to figure out what was the effective answers (I guess that's the core concept of stackoverflow.com).

On answers, you can select topics that you want to receive update via emails. So why not take just a few steps and subscribe explicitly to the moveit tag (and maybe some other tags if necessary)?

There's a category of reasons for closing a question on answers for MoveIt!.
e.g. http://answers.ros.org/question/182672/moveit-setup-assistant-crashes-for-youbot/
So once decision is made, the category needs to be removed.

Thanks for your opinion,
Isaac

Lorenzo Riano

Jan 19, 2016, 1:33:22 PM1/19/16
to Isaac Isao Saito-Yanagisawa, moveit...@googlegroups.com
+1
--
Lorenzo

“I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.”
Umberto Eco, The name of the Rose

Ian McMahon

Jan 19, 2016, 1:45:23 PM1/19/16
to Lorenzo Riano, Isaac Isao Saito-Yanagisawa, MoveIt! Users
+1 on moving back to ROS Answers for questions. I like the format there: it's easier to follow and I agree that it's easier to see the "best" of all the answers. The notion of editing a question once a better answer is discovered/coded also strikes me as useful, since the original asker will be pinged via email. At the very least, we should not have the ROS Answers system auto-close MoveIt questions.

~ Ian
--

. .

Ian McMahon  |  Senior Developer Relations Engineer
Rethink Robotics, Inc
main: 617.500.2487 | direct617.500.4188

Toni Oliver

Jan 20, 2016, 6:27:19 AM1/20/16
to MoveIt! Users
+1

Christian Dornhege

Jan 20, 2016, 7:30:07 AM1/20/16
to MoveIt! Users
+-1 In principle I'd like that for normal question -> answer problems.

But sometimes, in MoveIt!, problems need a deeper investigation to figure out, what is going on. This is mostly the case, when no one knows an exact solution and people investigate a complex subsystem together. For this format a traditional mailing list/forum as here is better.

Ideally all simple user questions (how do I ...) go to answers.ros.org and discussions stay here. Unfortunately I think that's not gonna work and just lead to confusion by new users, where questions should be directed.

Dave Coleman

Feb 4, 2016, 12:33:05 PM2/4/16
to MoveIt! Users
+1

- dave

Dave Coleman

Oct 24, 2016, 12:19:55 PM10/24/16
to MoveIt! Users
Hi moveit-users,

At our last maintainer meeting we agreed to move user questions back to answers.ros.org - this is now the recommended place to ask beginner/intermediate questions such as how to setup your robot with moveit. Please be sure to tag your question with the "moveit" keyword.

We'd like to reserve this mailing list for community announcements and high-level milestone-type questions.

For advanced developer-related questions, please use the Discourse topic or open an issue on Github.

Thanks,

Dave Coleman

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 10:33:05 AM UTC-7, Dave Coleman wrote:
+1

- dave