uploading archived data via Motus towers

Dmitry Kishkinev

Mar 23, 2016, 8:02:31 AM3/23/16
to motu...@googlegroups.com
Dear all

I wonder if anybody has thought of making a hybrid radiotag / light-level geolocator device which can upload archived data to Motus towers? This way we could receive data remotely without re-trapping a bird, which is an issue on itself, and use the Motus infrastructure.

Because I am not an engineer I would like to hear back from radio experts on potential data transfer protocol solutions. One may suggest to modulated amplitude of radio pulses by data collected (long pulse equals '1' and short equals '0'). The radiotag will be constantly sending archived data in a loop fashion until the battery dies. Of course, pulse rate is relatively slow (2 - 5 s) which means that sending long data sets could take hours. However, sometimes birds can sit for days near a tower. Also, one may merge pieces of data received by multiple towers. Of course, we would want to develop something uploading all data in 1-2 minutes as a bird is passing by any tower but I am afraid it demands some more sophisticated equipment. Potentially, new low power microcontrollers, like those by Texas Instruments

may be useful instead of classical 'beeper' radiotag periphery. Those new wifi microcontrollers are as small as 4 x 4 mm, weigh < 1 g, can transmit data up to several km and working in 315-920 MHz range (overlapped with FCD range).

I'd be very happy to hear your opinions on that.

Dmitry

--
PhD, Research Fellow,
School of Biological Sciences,

Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Mar 24, 2016, 9:53:40 AM3/24/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Hi Dmitry,

Lotek is working on similar technology - GPS pinpoint archival tags that upload remotely via VHF. The current minimum tag size is 3.5g, remote download range is about 250-500m at best, and they operate on a much higher frequency- see http://www.lotek.com/pinpoint-beacon.htm.

Motus infrastructure and our extensive collaborative network may provide an excellent opportunity to facilitate the uploading of archival and satellite tag information. This is an area that we may be interested in pursuing in the future and will continue to explore, but for the time being we're focused on getting the most out of the current system.

The SensorGnome (sensorgnome.org) provides a flexible platform that can accommodate uploading of many different types of sensor information, but there would have to be considerable software and hardware upgrades or additions.

We're happy to assist or discuss any opportunities that may arise.

Cheers,

Stu

_______________

Stuart A. Mackenzie

Migration Programs Manager

Motus Wildlife Tracking System | Long Point Bird Observatory

Bird Studies Canada | Études d'Oiseax Canada

PO Box 160, 115 Front Rd. Port Rowan, Ontario. N0E 1M0.

Office: (519)-586-3531 X 162 | Facsimile:586-3532 | Mobile:820-6040

smack...@birdscanada.org| birdscanada.org | motus-wts.org| birdscanada.org/lpbo

adam fudickar

Mar 24, 2016, 10:08:10 AM3/24/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Stu- do these upload remotely or is the 'beacon' just a standard pulse to help you find a tagged animal for recapture?

--
http://motus-wts.org/
---

Stuart Mackenzie

Mar 24, 2016, 10:13:09 AM3/24/16
to adam fudickar, Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Hi Adam,

As I understand it, the data is uploaded remotely so recapture is not necessary. You still need to get within a few hundred metres of the animal, so they're currently best suited for colonial or predictable species.

If you're interested, I would suggest contacting Lotek/Biotrack for details.

Stu

Larry Niles

Mar 24, 2016, 10:36:07 AM3/24/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System, Stephanie Feigin
Stew, can you add Stephanie Feigin from Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ to the mailing list stephanie.feigin@conservewildlifenj.org  .  She is part of our project.  thanks Larry

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Motus Wildlife Tracking System <motu...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
http://motus-wts.org/
---

Lawrence Niles PhD
LJ Niles Associates  LLC
109 Market Lane
Greenwich, NJ 08323
908 303 3843.
larry...@gmail.com
blog arubewithaview.com

David A. La Puma, PhD

Mar 24, 2016, 10:57:27 AM3/24/16
to larry...@gmail.com, Motus Wildlife Tracking System, Stephanie Feigin, Michael Lanzone
I would suggest adding Mike Lanzone to the email as well, if he’s not already on it.

Cheers

David
David A. La Puma, PhD
Director, Cape May Bird Observatory
New Jersey Audubon
600 Route 47 North
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210
Making New Jersey a Better Place for People and Wildlife Since 1897

“Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn’t be done.” - Amelia Earhart