range of data alliance omni antennas

Susan Heath

Oct 4, 2022, 12:58:17 PM10/4/22
to motu...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

Can you someone tell me the range of the data alliance omni antennas used to pick up CTT tags. How close do towers need to be to one another to have complete coverage?

Sue

Susan A. Heath PhD

Director of Conservation Research

Gulf Coast Bird Observatory

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of the company.

Jim Moore

Oct 4, 2022, 1:52:36 PM10/4/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
I am afraid there is no simple answer to your question.  The signal strength depends on tag orientation, height above ground, terrain to name a few.  I am not familiar with the particular antenna you are considering but you can get omni antennas that have gain in the horizontal plane i.e. it will have a pancake pattern and have equal response at all directions but will have less gain as the elevation angle increases.  My station has four yagis pointed in the cardinal direction and a single element omni on port 5.  My station CTT-D7F2B2270735 has four Yagis and one vertical on port 5 if you want to check the data.