antenna for funcubedongle during tag registration

john brzustowski

Jul 6, 2016, 5:57:05 AM7/6/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
On Tue, Jul 5, 2016, at 21:43, Rick Gray wrote:

> ... what kind of antenna and or the best place
> to find one that will suit my needs to record tags for registering?

For tag registration, almost any antenna you can plug into the
funcubedongle would probably work. I just tried it with a tag on my
desk and with nothing attached to the threaded SMA connector on the
funcube. The tag was still detected if its antenna was held beside
and parallel to the funcubedongle body. The signal certainly doesn't
have to cover the whole vertical range in audacity; even signals that
can only be seen when you view the audio track on a logarithmic scale
("Waveform (dB)" mode: click on the little triangle next to the "Audio
Track" label in Audacity) are enough for registration.

J.
# John Brzustowski
# Wolfville, NS Canada