Solar Power System Issues and Possible Solutions

bromano

May 4, 2016, 1:51:26 PM5/4/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi All,

Last year, I had a team of biologists tracking fall bat migration using the Sensorgnome computers and directional antennas powered by 12v DC batteries wired in sequence, and charged by a 55W solar panel with 6amp controller system. We had received an initial equipment list with a non-low voltage disconnect (LVD) controller included (yeesh!) which, we learned, causes brownout issues if the batteries cannot maintain a charge. Apparently, having an LVD is necessary to ensure the Sensorgnomes turn back on when power to the unit is sufficient. So, for us, back to the drawing board on the power system.

Several possible solutions:
Connect to AC power wherever practical
Increase battery bank size
Increase solar panel array
Include a solar controller with LVD (a must)
Include a solar lighting controller, which has both an LVD and a timer, thus shutting off power to the Sensorgnome by both battery charge and time.

Here is the unit we're considering:

Our proposed changes include using the solar lighting controller with LVD and timer disconnect, increasing battery bank size, and increasing solar panel array where the panel is not in direct sunlight all day.

A question:
Will the Sensorgnome receivers respond appropriately (i.e turn on at sunset) to the timer, which operates identically as the LVD?

I am also interested to hear other user's solutions to DC power problems!

Brad Romano

john brzustowski

May 4, 2016, 2:26:10 PM5/4/16
On Wed, May 4, 2016, at 14:51, bromano wrote:
> A question:
> Will the Sensorgnome receivers respond appropriately (i.e turn on at
> sunset) to the timer, which operates identically as the LVD?

If the SG sees 0 volts when the timer is "off", then yes.

J.

Stuart Mackenzie

May 4, 2016, 2:36:24 PM5/4/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Dear Brad,

Sorry for your troubles... Working with batteries and solar is always a challenge.

I have posted a recommended solar setup here - https://sensorgnome.org/@api/deki/files/8448/=Solar_Power_for_Remote_Field_Camps_and_Motus_Sensorgnomes.pdf - exact suppliers and manufactures will vary.

Last season Bird Studies Canada upgraded the power system on all of our ~150 stations in Ontario and Maritimes Provinces from 50W to 90 or 100W panels and a single 12V battery with two varieties of charge controllers (with low voltage disconnect (LVD)!), but the one you picture is our preferred across the board. the Sunsaver - Morningstar 6L, 10L, or 12L (the L in the model number stands for the LVD). When in doubt, double everything.

Although not always possible, planning to have at least some stations connected to a grid is helpful and reduces costs significantly. Connecting gnomes to the internet is another amazing feature saving oodles or time, worry, and money!

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Stu

_______________

Stuart A. Mackenzie

Migration Programs Manager

Motus Wildlife Tracking System | Long Point Bird Observatory

Bird Studies Canada | Études D'Oiseax Canada

PO Box 160, 115 Front Rd. Port Rowan, Ontario. N0E 1M0.

Office: (519)-586-3531 X 162 | Facsimile:586-3532 | Mobile:820-6040

smack...@birdscanada.org| birdscanada.org |motus-wts.org|birdscanada.org/lpbo

email_brand

The contents of this email may be privileged and confidential.  If you have received this email in error or were an unintended recipient of this email, please delete the email, destroy printed copies, and inform the sender.

--
http://motus-wts.org/
---

Brad Romano

May 5, 2016, 9:39:15 AM5/5/16
to Stuart Mackenzie, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Thank you all for your very helpful feedback! Based on the information, we're likely going to go with the simpler low-voltage disconnect solar controller, beef up the battery system to at least 100 amp-hours, and the solar panels to 110 watts. This way the Sensorgnomes can run 24hrs and maybe pick up diurnal migrants from other projects.

Brad

W Brad Romano

Wildlife Biologist Program Manager | Shoener Environmental Inc.
M: 610.428.1718 | O: 814.736.3080 ext. 312 |  bro...@shoener.com
808 Caldwell Avenue, Suite 200 Portage, PA 15946
The contents of this email may be privileged and confidential.  If you have received this email in error or were an unintended recipient of this email, please delete the email, destroy printed copies, and inform the sender.

Jessica Howell

Dec 5, 2016, 2:29:35 PM12/5/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System, bro...@shoener.com
Hi Brad,

I am a grad student at the University of Saskatchewan using the Motus telemetry towers to look at Sanderling and Red Knot movements in and out of a stopover site in Saskatchewan.  My group really struggled with power issues this past season, and I came across this post.  We currently have the recommended setup (SS10L Solar Charge Controller, 24-AGM Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Battery, and CTI 95 Watt Monocrystaline Module solar panel), but are considering doubling up on batteries and solar panels for next season.  I came across this post and was wondering- what did you end up doing with your system?  How it has worked for you this season?  Do you have any recommendations for other researchers based on your experience?

Thank you so much,

Jessica Howell
M.Sc. Student- Biology
University of Saskatchewan

Stuart Mackenzie

Dec 6, 2016, 11:56:50 AM12/6/16
to Jessica Howell, Motus Wildlife Tracking System, bro...@shoener.com

Hi Jessica,

Your current setup as described should be sufficient to run a standard setup with sensorgnome and 3 antenna, so doubling up of either batteries or solar panels will only improve reliability. This is the go-to setup for BSC/Motus-maintained infrastructure, and has had very few problems.  However, if you double up your solar panels you'll need a larger charge controller, probably a 20L. The manual for those charge controllers should outline requirements - http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/SS3.IOM_.Operators_Manual.01.EN_.pdf

Cheers,

Stu

_______________

Stuart A. Mackenzie

Migration Program Manager

Bird Studies Canada | Études d'Oiseax Canada

PO Box 160, 115 Front Rd. Port Rowan, Ontario. N0E 1M0.

Office: (519)-586-3531 X 162 | Facsimile:586-3532 | Mobile:820-6040

email_brand

Pamela Loring

Dec 6, 2016, 12:01:48 PM12/6/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi folks,

Just want to chime in here and note that we have had success powering our 6-antenna sites with either a 120 w or 140 w solar panel, a 20L charge controller, and two 24-agm 76-ah batteries banked in parallel.

Pam

http://motus-wts.org/
---

john brzustowski

Dec 6, 2016, 1:25:44 PM12/6/16
to motu...@googlegroups.com
But those are Lotek receivers, right? SGs are relative power pigs!

J.

--
#-----------------------------------
# John Brzustowski

Pamela Loring

Dec 6, 2016, 1:32:30 PM12/6/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
John,

Correct that the 6-antenna set ups all have Lotek receivers...our power systems are probably a bit over-kill but many of our sites are extremely foggy (such as Nantucket, the "grey lady")

Pam

> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/motus-wts.
> > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/ms
> > gid/motus-wts/00e7ded2-6bd2-4db7-ab8a-dc9eca12aeb7%40googlegroups.com
> > .
> >
> > --
> > http://motus-wts.org/
> > ---
> > gid/motus-wts/94d787422f3e47b6b4ce28da86a25621%40exchange.bsc-eoc.org
> > .

> --
> http://motus-wts.org/
> ---
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + image001.png
>   33k (image/png)

Jessica Howell

Dec 6, 2016, 2:30:57 PM12/6/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Thank you so much Stu, Pam, and John for your input.

Stu, by reliability are you referring to functioning with minimal outages?  Our towers function fairly well as a whole, but have had patches of outages, many of which correspond with high rain and cloud cover and often begin well after the sun has set.  One tower's battery completely died in July.  I'd really like to decrease these occurrences, especially since we are planning to add a fourth antenna to two of our towers.

Pam, thank you for the info on your set-up.  I'm glad to hear that that is working for you!  Is this your original set-up or were you dealing with similar power outages of one or more antennas before this?

John, I didn't know that there could be a big difference in power consumption between the two receiver types.  Is our current set-up possibly insufficient based on our receiver type (SG)?

Has anyone else seen similar problems of outages of one or more antennas, or whole system outages?  If so, I'd love to hear about how you have been dealing with these issues and what your set-up is.  Any other thoughts on these issues and potential solutions are very welcome.

Jessica

--
http://motus-wts.org/
---

Stuart Mackenzie

Dec 6, 2016, 2:52:21 PM12/6/16
to Jessica Howell, Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Power setup:

The setup you describe, summarized here - https://sensorgnome.org/Powering_your_SensorGnome/Solar_Power/Solar_Power_Reccomendations,  has worked well without serious outages in all environments (fog, cloud, etc.) with sensorgnomes and 3 antenna. I suspect your complete battery drainage might have been a charge controller malfunction, or other issue, because they are designed to shut off when the voltage gets too low to prevent battery damage. For this reason it is important to always ensure your charge controllers have low-voltage cut-off identified by an L in the model number of these models http://www.morningstarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/SS3.IOM_.Operators_Manual.01.EN_.pdf.

Solar angle and direction:

The relative angle and direction of the solar panel is also extremely important. For instance panels should be angled to maximize the sun angle and face south to maximize exposure. See guidelines here - https://sensorgnome.org/Powering_your_SensorGnome/Solar_Power

Power consumption:

There is a complete guide to estimated power consumption for various Sensorgnome configurations here: https://sensorgnome.org/Powering_your_SensorGnome/Solar_Power/Power_Consumption

One major difference between Sensorgnomes and Lotek SRX receivers is how they monitor antenna. Sensorgnomes monitor all antenna simultaneously whereas Lotek receivers cycle through antenna one at a time. In order for the Sensorgnomes to do this, they require a radio receiver (FunCube) for each antenna which each draw a lot of power. Each new antenna/FunCube combo draws approximately 1-1.5 watts of power.

Jessica, if you're considering adding a 4th antenna to each of your stations, you'll almost certainly want to increase your power capacity. Note also that standard pop-up towers cannot easily accommodate 4 antenna, so you may need a more robust design.

Whenever possible I strongly recommend making the effort to find buildings, structures, or other opportunities to design and build more permanent fixtures ideally with access to power and internet. This is always a trade-off between the best site possible and consistent and reliable power, usually great height and line of sight, and when you're lucky internet. This isn't always possible, in many cases impossible, but it's worth careful consideration when designing any study. It often works out for the best.

Cheers,

Stu

> > gid/motus-wts/00e7ded2-6bd2-4db7-ab8a-dc9eca12aeb7%40googlegroups.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/motus-wts/00e7ded2-6bd2-4db7-ab8a-dc9eca12aeb7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .
> >
> > --
> > http://motus-wts.org/
> > ---

> > gid/motus-wts/94d787422f3e47b6b4ce28da86a25621%40exchange.bsc-eoc.org
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/motus-wts/94d787422f3e47b6b4ce28da86a25621%40exchange.bsc-eoc.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .

> --
> http://motus-wts.org/
> ---

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/motus-wts/CAEGjfKLBbBSEFLt899S98V4A8RCh9HJZseOeWkWaBRrpVLQMsQ%40mail.gmail.com.
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + image001.png
>   33k (image/png)

http://motus-wts.org/
---

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/motus-wts.

http://motus-wts.org/
---

Brad Romano

Dec 12, 2016, 10:25:47 AM12/12/16
to Jessica Howell, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi Jessica,

I apologize for the delay in responding, and see that others have addressed your questions. Nevertheless, I wanted to follow up on this with you. I concur with the posts left by Pamela, Johns, and Stu. The couple of setups we left out for several weeks this summer worked well and had no power issues. Unfortunately, we were not able to connect with our study organism (threatened bat species in fragmented habitat), so we had to pull the plug on the study before deploying the bulk of our array for an extended period of time.

However, I can tell you this:

If your project is going to be longer-term, your sites are difficult to access, and/or you have limited staff availability, you may be better off increasing your solar panel wattage and replacing the controller for a larger module. This will ensure the battery powering the system is getting a stronger charge each day. Doubling up the batteries alone while maintaining the same solar panel setup will only double (approx) the amount of time until the system loses power.

Because our study was not a long-term one, the tower locations were relatively easy to reach, and batteries were the less costly investment, we opted to increase the battery bank at the towers and keep a few fully-charged batteries connected to a trickle-charger in the office. Our field crew would simply assess the power status of each battery bank at every tower check and replace the partially drained batteries with fully-charged ones when it was clear the solar panels weren't quite providing enough juice to recharge the system. This required checks once every 2 weeks, which was our original plan to check on equipment for security reasons, anyway.

We found an outfit in Flagstaff, Arizona who was REALLY helpful and are considered experts in solar charging system design. For what it's worth, here is their information: https://www.solar-electric.com/

Hope you find a power solution, feel free to ask any additional questions!

Brad

W Brad Romano

Wildlife Biologist Program Manager | Shoener Environmental Inc.
M: 610.428.1718 | O: 814.736.3080 ext. 312 |  bro...@shoener.com
808 Caldwell Avenue, Suite 200 Portage, PA 15946
www.shoener.com
The contents of this email may be privileged and confidential.  If you have received this email in error or were an unintended recipient of this email, please delete the email, destroy printed copies, and inform the sender.

Jessica Howell

Dec 19, 2016, 11:21:59 AM12/19/16
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Brad- no worries on the delay, thanks for getting back!  I’m sorry you were unable to connect with your study species but glad to hear you did not experience power issues.  So you are suggesting keeping the single battery but doubling solar and boosting the charge controller?  I think we will also follow a similar tower check protocol.

Stu- Thank you for the power consumption chart- that is very handy!  I’m going to check our batteries that are in storage charging and make sure they still have life and go from there.  Most of our towers are remote, but there are several that I will look into potentially connecting to the grid.  As for the fourth antenna, what do you suggest in terms of design?  I would like to do this with two towers- one is a stand-alone pop-up in a field, and the other is a pop-up but attached to the top of a building.

Thank you again and Happy Holidays,

Jessica