House bracketed tower without concrete

Lesley Bulluck

Jan 9, 2023, 11:50:01 AM1/9/23
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hello all,
I am planning to build a tower that is bracketed to a building (farm house) and was planning to use Rohn sections and a concrete base until I saw the suggestion on the motus website resources page about Wade towers that do not need a concrete base (https://wadeantenna.com/product/36-foot-dmx-bracketed-tower/)

I am curious if anyone has any experience with these towers and if so, do you have any suggestions beyond what is available on the product website?

Thank you!
Lesley

Josh Sayers

Jan 9, 2023, 12:24:11 PM1/9/23
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi Lesley, for a building-supported tower that does not require a concrete base you'd probably be better off with the GN style rather than DMX style tower from WADE. It is generally similar but easier to work with.

Whatever your choice you'll want to consider if the height you can achieve with a building supported tower (typically one to two sections above the highest bracket) will give you sufficient height.

Todd Alleger

Jan 9, 2023, 1:38:12 PM1/9/23
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Another consideration will be how many antennas you want to install.  The WADE-GN is rated to 3 sq.ft (0.28 sq.m) of antenna projected area.  For reference, the projected area for Maple Leaf's 9-element, 6-element and 434Mhz antennas are 1.4 sq.ft (0.13 sq.m), 0.66 sq.ft (0.061 sq.m), and 0.3 sq.ft (0.03 sq.m), respectively.

Add up the areas of the antennas you want to mount and stay below the rating of the tower.  For the added hassle and cost, a 30ft bracketed Rohn 25G in a cement base is rated to 7.5 sq.ft (0.69 sq.m).

Lesley Bulluck

Jan 9, 2023, 2:05:41 PM1/9/23
to motu...@googlegroups.com
This is super helpful.
I am planning to have two 9-element Yagis from Maple leaf (2.8 sq ft) and four 434 Mhz (1.2 sq ft) for a total of 4sq ft...so it sounds like I will need to go with a Rohn set up and a concrete base.

Do folks recommend using the hinged base or setting the base into the concrete?

Lesley

--
The Motus Wildlife Tracking System (Motus) is an international collaborative research network that uses coordinated automated radio telemetry to facilitate research and education on the ecology and conservation of migratory animals. Motus is a program of Birds Canada in partnership with collaborating researchers and organizations. Learn more at https://motus.org
---

Jim Moore

Jan 9, 2023, 3:09:18 PM1/9/23
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Lesley-

I would recommend a hinged base with a pulley at the eves of the house with a winch so you can lower the tower for maintenance and antenna installation.  If this is not an option then you need to find someone willing to climb the tower with proper harness so they can work  with both hands.

Btw I signed up for this group but haven’t received approval yet.

Cheers

-Jim

Jim Moore
Great Marsh Institute
34 Moores Rd
Elverson, PA, 19520

j...@marshlands.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Motus Wildlife Tracking System" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/motus-wts/CACu-59VhTza%2BKqkrMQ2V%3DmK%3DaBqAV5q5i9_HtQf4rXW0V_W5mQ%40mail.gmail.com.