More NanoTag codes – Codeset Lotek6M

Sean Walls

Jan 21, 2022, 4:06:17 PM1/21/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Dear Motus Users

The success of Motus has meant thousands of tags need to be identified individually, anywhere in the world. We have come a long way from Lotek’s fish monitoring systems developed in the 1990s, which were the predecessors to the modern equipment we use today. Producing the smallest tags, with the longest lives and detection ranges possible, still means the same physical NanoTag design and ways to identify individuals.

For nearly a decade Motus has run with 512 coded ID s and a possible 76 burst intervals (BI), potentially over 35,000 coded combinations on any one frequency. Not all BIs are optimal for projects, so some BIs get congested.  Therefore, Lotek has been working on a new codeset dedicated to Motus: Lotek6M with 732 IDs.

Lotek has been contacting those we know are using SRX receivers with the Motus system to install the new codeset, so that the new IDs can be detected. We may not know all current users of Motus SRX receivers, so if you do not hear from us by February and want your receiver upgraded, then please contact Lotek to perform the appropriate upgrade. The new codeset can be uploaded remotely, so there is no need to return receivers.

New codes will be available on tags later this year.

The substantial increase in coded IDs will enable even more tags to be used simultaneously, to enhance the use of NanoTags in the ever expanding Motus network.

Happy tracking

The Lotek Team

Sean Walls, PhD

Director, Avian Segment Lotek

swa...@lotek.com

Boyce, Andy

Jan 21, 2022, 4:19:13 PM1/21/22
to Sean Walls, Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Hey Sean,

Great news for all us tagging birds. One question that I think has relevance for many; are SRX receiver users the only ones that will need a software update? What is the situation for all of us using either Sensorgnomes or CTT Sensorstations w/Funcube dongles?

Thank you!

Andy

Andy J. Boyce, PhD | Ecologist
Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center | Great Plains Science Program
Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute

91 Campus Drive PMB 1605

Missoula, MT 59801

401-440-2748

Jan 21, 2022, 4:25:59 PM1/21/22
to Boyce, Andy, Sean Walls, motu...@googlegroups.com

Hey Andy,

Thanks for following up with that important question - I’ll field this one. All collaborators using Sensorgnomes and CTT Sensorstations will be able to detect the new Lotek codeset with no modifications/updates required. All the work has already been done on the backend. You should all be good to go. More codes for everyone.

Happy Motusing,

Stu

Stuart A. Mackenzie

Director of Strategic Assets

Birds Canada | Oiseaux Canada

PO Box 160, 115 Front Rd. Port Rowan, Ontario. N0E 1M0.

Office: (519)-586-3531 X 162 | Mobile:820-6040

smack...@birdscanada.org| birdscanada.org |motus.org|birdscanada.org/lpbo