Funcube software update for CTT sensorstation?

William Blake

Apr 23, 2021, 12:38:45 PMApr 23
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi everyone,

Does anyone using CTT Sensorstations ever update their funcube dongle software with the "FCD2.20.03.48.pro.bin" (when purchased from Hanlicrest)?

After the 2018-10-12 SGPI software update (Sensorgnome software), I always had to update the funcube dongle software for them to detect nanotags. Since I've switched several of my Motus stations to CTT sensorstations, , I wonder if I can simply just plug in these dongles directly to the sensorstations and expect them to work?

I've recently realized that the funcube dongles seem to detect nanotags when connected to CTT Sensorstation without any update of software, but to double check, I'd love to hear from any Motus user out there! Thanks,

William

Matt Webb

Apr 24, 2021, 9:05:10 AMApr 24
to William Blake, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
William,

I have had problems in the past with Funcube dongles not being detected using CTT Sensorstations, just as with RPi based Sensorgnomes.  But if I make sure the firmware is the 48KHz version (the same one you mentioned), the Funcubes work just fine.  If you purchase your Funcubes from a second party seller (Compudata or RFS Scientific) they will have already updated the firmware to be the 48KHz version, and you would not have to do so.

Because the firmware update is fairly straightforward, I'd still say it's best practice to make sure your Funcubes have the correct firmware for use with a RPi based receiver (RPi based Sensorgnome and CTT Sensorstation).  Failure to do so COULD result in nothing being detected by the antenna connected to that Funcube dongle!

I'd be happy to hear if CTT ensures that their stations have the ability to function with Funcubes no matter what firmware is on it, but I'm not sure that they do, and I'd hate to not collect any data by assuming they do!

Feel free to contact me if you would like instructions for how to update the firmware on Funcube dongles!
Matt

Matthew M Webb

Avian Ecologist and Motus WTS Coordinator, Full Annual Cycle Monitoring Program

Bird Conservancy of the Rockies

Motus project #281

970.482.1707 x36 (office)

970.405.7155 (mobile - use this number!)

Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter

--
The Motus Wildlife Tracking System (Motus) is an international collaborative research network that uses coordinated automated radio telemetry to facilitate research and education on the ecology and conservation of migratory animals. Motus is a program of Birds Canada in partnership with collaborating researchers and organizations. Learn more at https://motus.org
---

Cory Holliday

May 4, 2021, 12:29:41 PMMay 4
to William Blake, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hello William,

I have had positive detections of transmitters through the Funcube on at least one of my CTT sensorstations and I have not updated my Funcube firmware.

I hope this helps.

Cory

Cory Holliday

Cave and Karst Program Manager

The Tennessee Chapter of The Nature Conservancy

750 Big Branch Rd., Granville, TN 38564

615-504-7427 Mobile