Terra hopes to grow the Motus network by mega leaps and bounds in the coming year

David La Puma

May 28, 2021, 1:51:51 PM5/28/21
to motu...@googlegroups.com
Dear Motus collaborator:

After 15 years in the making and two years in development, yesterday we (Cellular Tracking Technologies) launched the Terra Project on Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theterraproject/listen-to-birds-and-wildlife-build-a-new-conservation-tool). The Terra device is a consumer-grade transceiver that transmits the natural sounds from outside, into your home via Bluetooth, or wherever you are via the included smartphone app. The aim of Terra is twofold: to connect people to nature in more meaningful and deeper ways, and to build a network of receivers to feed important bird diversity and density information back to a centralized database for the science and conservation communities. To accomplish this, within Terra are three microphones (two stereo mics for recording natural sounds, and one flight call mic for recording flight calls of birds migrating high above the device) and a 434MHz radio receiver. The device will have software for filtering out anthropogenic noise and human voice, as well as software to decode flight calls and bird songs.

The radio receiver makes each Terra a mini-Motus station with a range of up to several kilometers. We expect to have enough backers to support thousands of Terras, which means we could be increasing the Motus infrastructure network by an order of magnitude within a relatively short time-frame.

Of course Kickstarter campaigns depend on a large number of backers to raise the capital needed to make the project successful (we are already exceeding expectations with over 20% of our goal reached in the first 12 hours) so I’m asking you to consider sharing the Kickstarter with your friends and colleagues, consider backing the project yourself, and consider creative ways to help amplify the project and the importance of its success. I think we can all agree that if this takes off as well as we think it can, us Motus collaborators and conservation scientists will reap great benefit from an expanded network and increased public participation.

For those of you interested in how we will fund the research side of this endeavor, we have partnered with Conservation Science Global, a local non-profit, to set up a Terra Research Fund. You can read more about that partnership on our website here:
https://www.terralistens.com/donations/.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Thanks for making it to the end of this email, and thank you in advance for your help making Terra a reality for Motus!

Cheers,

David and the Terra Team

Cellular Tracking Technologies
David A. La Puma, PhD (He/Him)  Director, Global Market Development
celltracktech.com  (609) 889-0305 x104  Book​​​ Time With Me

“Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn’t be done.” - Amelia Earhart