Issues With CTT Sensor Stations not Uploading Tag Detections to Motus

DesRoberts, Kevin J

Mar 15, 2022, 10:38:51 PM3/15/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hello everyone,

We are experience problems with CTT sensor stations not uploading tag detections to Motus. We have five hybrid CTT/Motus stations deployed and two test tags registered and deployed in Motus. Both the CTT and Lotek tags are being detected by the sensor stations, but the detections are not being uploaded to Motus when data is uploaded. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, do you have recommendations on how to resolve these issues?

Thank you.

Kevin

Kevin J. DesRoberts, Project Leader
Interior Regions 8 and 10
Desert National Wildlife Refuge Complex
4701 N. Torrey Pines DR
Las Vegas, NV  89130
702-375-4005 (cell)

Pat Lorch

Mar 16, 2022, 7:05:03 AM3/16/22
to motu...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kevin,
    We’ll be bringing some tags we know are making it through to the workshop Thursday. If those work, it is likely a registration issue. Are your stations connecting via cell phone or internet?

Patrick Lorch

On Mar 15, 2022, at 7:38 PM, 'DesRoberts, Kevin J' via Motus Wildlife Tracking System <motu...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
The Motus Wildlife Tracking System (Motus) is an international collaborative research network that uses coordinated automated radio telemetry to facilitate research and education on the ecology and conservation of migratory animals. Motus is a program of Birds Canada in partnership with collaborating researchers and organizations. Learn more at https://motus.org
---

David La Puma

Mar 16, 2022, 10:53:40 AM3/16/22
to motu...@googlegroups.com, sa...@celltracktech.com
Hello Kevin-

A couple of things to check:
  1. Were the tags properly registered with and deployed on your Motus project?  I just peeked at your Motus project and I can see the test power tag is registered, but it doesn’t appear to be deployed. It is my understanding that Motus will only search for tags once they’ve been deployed- so that might be the issue.
  2. Were the tags activated? I ask this because I spoke with Mark yesterday and we looked at one of the stations and I couldn’t see any detections on our portal- which had recently uploaded data. That would suggest that the tag was not activated. The tag was detected at Desert NWR station prior so it could be that you did go to activate it and deactivated it instead? Just a hypothesis. You can tell if the tag is activated if you go through the activation steps and see the response light flashing on the activator every 5 seconds.

So you understand the data flow process, when data are uploaded to the CTT portal (from a GSM or Internet-connected station), they are also simultaneously uploaded to Motus, so if you see data files on the CTT portal, you should feel confident that they are also at Birds Canada. Sometimes processing times take a little longer on the Motus side depending on their scheduled tag searches, but and discrepancy between the CTT portal and Motus should be brought to our mutual attention so we can sort it out quickly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

If we did all of the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.” - Thomas Edison

jsayers

Mar 28, 2022, 3:41:17 PM3/28/22
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Just wanted to post a quick update for those who may find this at a later date... This ended up being related to tag activation issues. After the tags were confirmed to be activated, the stations were found to be functioning as expected.