choosing a yagi-uda antenna

oakleync

Jan 20, 2017, 1:25:51 PM1/20/17
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Good Afternoon,

I am seeking specific advice on purchasing 5-element and 9-element yagi-uda antennas. I have perused the internet and the recommended antenna suppliers suggested by the sensorgnome.org website but I feel a little overwhelmed by the choices in brands/models/prices.
Current/Past Motus tower operators
-What antenna manufacturer/model have y'all used?
-Were you happy with your choice? Any issues with shipping, availability, customer service?
-Did the antenna hold up well in inclement weather?

We will be using SensorGnomes and attaching the antennas to existing buildings/structures and self-made towers here in central Oklahoma. And as some of you may know, it gets pretty darn windy here, so any suggestions on antennas that can handle strong wind conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank y'all so much for your time and consideration. Please do not hesitate to call or email me.

Cheers!

William O

W.F. Oakley

PhD Biology Student

Eli Bridge Lab

University of Oklahoma

Oklahoma Biological Survey

111 E. Chesapeake St.

Norman, OK 73019

email: wf.o...@ou.edu

phone: 843-743-5316

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” Aldo Leopold

Bryant Dossman

Jan 20, 2017, 3:01:11 PM1/20/17
to oakleync, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi William,

For 9 elements I've primarily used Laird Tech PLC 1669. Digikey currently has the best pricing (295/ea) but its for orders of 10.

I've had antennas for a couple years without any issues. Their might be a lead time on antennas so plan accordingly but shipping from digikey was FAST.

Hope that helps,
Bryant

Cornell University &
Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center
302 Fernow Hall
Ithaca NY 14850

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://motus-wts.org/
---

Stuart Mackenzie

Jan 21, 2017, 7:10:05 AM1/21/17
to oakleync, Motus Wildlife Tracking System

Hi William,

Overwhelmingly the current array is comprised of 9-element - Laird PLC-1669 as Bryant suggested. We've had many of these in the field for 5+ years. Weather-wise the antenna isn't the issue, it's how well you waterproof the connections, and the type of cables. We use automotive goop - http://eclecticproducts.com/amazing-goop-automotive.html - to seal all connections, and RG213 or TWS/LMR-400 type cables are the most durable/weather resistant in the long-term. http://motus.org/antennas/.

There are many options for 3 & 5 element antenna - both Comtelco http://store.comtelcoantennas.com/y3315c-d (~$205), and Laird make 5 element antenna (Model Y1504 $230).

My go to supplier in the states has been "Economy 2-way radio - http://www.econ2way.com/ ". mailto: in...@econ2way.com. They're a small company and relatively quick (they're at the mercy of the manufacturers usually).

They will typically offer the best price - I've been getting $295/antenna regardless of quantity. That's likely increased. They can also supply 3,5, or 6 element antenna as desired, and custom build cables you need. A one stop-shop. Contact me off-list if you want a sample invoice.

Cheers,

Stu

Hazel Wheeler

Apr 21, 2017, 4:06:06 PM4/21/17
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System, smack...@bsc-eoc.org
This thread's a bit older now, but I have a question along the same vein:  has anyone in Canada tried the 9-element yagis from Maple Leaf Communications?  I was going to order some Laird PLC-1669s, as that's what I've done in past, but there's a 6-8 week wait right now, so I started calling around.  These Maple Leaf antennas are quite a bit cheaper (CDN$295), are 4 lbs lighter, and can be ready in 2 weeks.  Any testimonials out there?

For those who know what it all means, I'm attaching the spec sheet for the alternate yagis.

Hazel
9E166 Yagi-Specs-316.pdf

Phil Taylor

Apr 21, 2017, 7:45:15 PM4/21/17
to Hazel Wheeler, Motus Wildlife Tracking System, Stuart Mackenzie
We've worked quite a bit with Bob Morton of Maple Leaf on designing and building omni antennas. He is very helpful, knowledgeable and has always delivered us good products. I'd have no trouble buying these from him myself. Phil.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/motus-wts.

Phil Taylor
Bird Studies Canada Chair in Ornithology
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS.

Tremblay, Junior (EC)

Apr 24, 2017, 7:01:26 AM4/24/17
to Phil Taylor, Hazel Wheeler, Motus Wildlife Tracking System, Stuart Mackenzie

I second Phil as we’re dealing a lot with Bob Morton from Maple Leaf here in Quebec and I’m pretty satisfied.

Junior A. Tremblay, PhD

Chercheur scientifique – Oiseaux & écosystèmes boréaux | Research scientist – Boreal birds & Ecosystems

Professeur associé – Adjunct Professor | Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
Téléphone | Telephone 418-649-6260

Télécopieur | Facsimile 418-648-5643

Aubry, Yves (EC)

Apr 24, 2017, 9:37:25 AM4/24/17
to Phil Taylor, Hazel Wheeler, Motus Wildlife Tracking System, Stuart Mackenzie

Hi

Like Phil, Bob Morton has always been a valuable resource  when dealing with antennas (either omni or unidirectional) and he always calibrate and check all  technical parameters of antennas to make sure it suit our needs.

We have bought 6 of them (PLC-1669s) for the set-up of two towers in Barbados last March and they were fine, easy to assemble. They were in 3 sections so I assembled  the three sections before deploying them in the field, ask or buy (they are easy to find in any good hardware store) some extra screws and  clamps in case you brake one or one is missing.

I will keep MapleLeaf in the loop for any request or acquisition regarding antennas and cables.

Regards

Yves Aubry

Yves Aubry

Biologiste, Service canadien de la faune

Environnement et changement climatique Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
801-1550 avenue d'Estimauville
Québec (Québec) G1J 0C3
(418) 649-6135
fax: (418) 649-6591
yves....@canada.ca

Biologist, Canadian Wildlife Service

Environment  and Climate Change Canada/Government of Canada

Yves....@canada.ca/ tel. : 418-649-6135