future: sensorgnome on Raspberry Pi 2 vs. Beaglebone Black

john brzustowski

Jun 8, 2016, 3:13:52 PM6/8/16
to Smith, Adam, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi Adam,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016, at 15:52, Smith, Adam wrote:
> Any benefit towards pursuing RPi over BB SGs down the road?

> Adam Smith
> Quantitative Ecologist
> USFWS - National Wildlife Refuge System
> Southeast (R4) Inventory & Monitoring Branch
> http://www.fws.gov/southeast/IMnetwork/

Yes:

- lower power consumption due to not needing the USB hub and likely due
to the next point; also means fewer points of component/cabling failure

- multiple cores (on the Pi 2 B) means less chance of dropped data
in noisy / busy tag environments

- a centrally-curated reference version of the operating system means more
of the hardware features are supported and usable/tunable than on the BBBK
(e.g. USB and GPU are better on the Pi)

- cheaper

- seems more future-proof, as tens of million of Raspberry Pis have
been sold, and they are a non-profit foundation, rather than a
somewhat imperilled division of a huge company (Texas Instruments,
who make the main chip on the BeagleBone)

- a more unified community of users

The RPi 2 wasn't available when we first started using BBs in 2011/2012, and
earlier RPi models had power issues making them less suitable for field use
They've improved considerably since.

J.