antennas

Glenn Pollock

Feb 1, 2024, 8:55:06 AMFeb 1
to motu...@googlegroups.com

I am in the process of installing my sixth station.  I have over 50 years of amateur radio experience and am using what I earn from all the mistake I have made.  I build my own cables with type N connectors. I test all the cable with a antenna analyzer called rig expert. I also use it to test antennas before installation.    Matt uses the same analyses.  There a re some less expensive one on the market than the one I use. If you plant to install several station I would suggest getting one. They are called NanoVNA but can be difficult to use.

One can order custom made cables with the connectors attached. A bit more expensive.

I do not use high gain antennas. I want to get a wider coverage.

I have found over half my detection are on 434 MHZ.  The  modulation on 434 MHZ is more noise resistant. It is a digital mode using frequency shift keying.

I am using a new design of antenna call LFA loop folded antenna. It is a was good noise reduction.  I also use a ferrite clamp on noise filter the coax near the feed point of the antenna.

The lighten arrester at the receiver can also  discharge any static electricity that can build up on the antennas especially in dry and windy climates.

Just my personal experience.  Keep me busy in retirement.

I would be good to have a conference with the experienced and new installer to share ideas.

I will second Thorsten and Matt have said about the cable. I do a lot of station installs and still frequently have an issue due to switching connectors and not correctly modifying how I prep the ends of the coax cable.  A recent example cost us a. Extra 6 hours as we had to bring down a pop-tower to redo the top connectors.

I am finding it harder to support the point about continuing to put up dual frequency stations as the number of birds tagged with 166.378 MHz dwindles. More than half of equipment and labor, and most of the risk of putting up a station come from installing antennas for 166. For now we need to do it to support the broader Motus network.

Patrick Lorch
--
Glenn Pollock
6736 Laurel Ave