Plotting study sites with Motus tower locations

suehayes

Nov 29, 2020, 2:44:38 PM11/29/20
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Does anyone have experience reading in KMZ or KML files in order to make a map of study sites with Motus Tower locations? I have tried using a couple of different packages (plotKML and sf) but have had no success.

Patrick D. Lorch

Nov 29, 2020, 6:17:57 PM11/29/20
to suehayes, Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hello Sue,
    I accidentally unsubscribed from the list, so cannot post there until they re-add me.  Have you tried something like
st_write(features, "test.kml", driver='kml', update=TRUE)

Patrick Lorch

Manager of Field Research
Cleveland Metroparks
2277 West Ridgewood Dr.
Parma OH 44134
440-253-2167 (Office)
216-310-7180 (Mobile)
p...@clevelandmetroparks.com
http://clevelandmetroparks.com

On Nov 29, 2020, at 2:20 PM, suehayes <sueh...@yorku.ca> wrote:

WARNING: This email originated outside of Cleveland Metroparks. DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Unsubscribe

It appears that you have subscribed to commercial messages from this sender. To stop receiving such messages from this sender, please unsubscribe

--
https://motus.org/
---

fr_bedard

Nov 29, 2020, 8:41:08 PM11/29/20
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Just open the KMZ or KML file in Google Earth (File ­ - Open) -and you will see your points with the Google Map satellite background.

If you would like to put other background or your own background layers, I suggest you use QGIS (an open source GIS software) - click LAYER > ADD LAYER > ADD VECTOR LAYER.  There are a lot of training videos on how to use QGIS to create your own map.

Frédéric

jessica.gorzo

Nov 30, 2020, 12:09:39 PM11/30/20
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Hi Sue,

Can you tell us what you tried with those packages in R? This should work...

sf::st_read("file.kml")

Let us know if you solved this,

suehayes

Nov 30, 2020, 6:13:24 PM11/30/20
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Thank you to all that responded. I did get a fix for this. The following worked:

sf::st_read("file.kml")

I am not clear why this worked over what I had (read_sf ("file.kml") but it seems to work now.

Thanks again
Sue