166.380 MHZ interference

Glenn Pollock

Dec 19, 2022, 1:19:13 PM12/19/22
to motu...@googlegroups.com
I have been dealing with interference on a receiver with noise problems.
   Using a hand held Kenwood TH R6 receiver and laptop with SDR Council
A3 software using a Funcube pro + sdr. I found a signal at 166,377.350
MHZ. This signal falls with in the band pass of the CTT receiver using
the funcube sdr. The Funcube is tuned 166,376.007MHZ in the CTT receiver
using Funcube FCD Frequency Control Program V2.002 software.  It appears
to me that signal is causing my noise problem.   The source of the
problem is a Cirrus 3560 LAN Switch located about 50 feet from the
antenna and CTT receiver.  The problem this is the switch router   that
provides the wifi signal to the Motus receiver.

The IT people in control of the switch do not see a problem since the
switch is providing wifi to the area.  I problem comes from the
switching power supply in the switch that provided the various voltages
to run the switch.  I have test other switches ,routers and they do not
emit  the unwanted signal.  I would like to replace the switch. I think
this will have to be solved with people above my pay grade, I am a
volunteer buy the way.

I also had noise problem with this station caused by old LED light.
There are new LED light that do not emit RF  signals. I also experienced
a  RF noise problem from a ventilation in near by building. The fan was
replaced with a new one.

I am currently installing another Motus Receiver Station. I have
surveyed  the site and found 166.380 MHZ clean.  I found a signal near
the the 434 MHZ frequency caused by the DSL internet modem cable. I
replace the  un shielded cable for modem to wifi route witha shield and
RJ12 shield cable. That did reduce the signal a bit. The problem is that
the  internet signal is provided by telephone wire cable. Fiber
connection would eliminate the problem signal.   The 434MHZ signal are
more immune to noise because of the modulation   which is Frequency
Shift Keying.

Just my experience and I am still learning and may not have all my ideas
of the noise problem correct. Fell free to contact me if you see any
errors observations.

Glenn Pollock pollockg@cox net       Omaha Nebraska.

Chris Spurgeon (gmail)

Jan 2, 2023, 7:46:11 AM1/2/23
to Motus Wildlife Tracking System
Just wondering, could you surround the switch in a Faraday cage? Make a box out of metal screening, with a wire running from the screening to a ground connection. Stick the switch in the box (with any antennas sticking out of course). Might just work.

Chris Spurgeon
chris.s...@pasadenaaudubon.org