Multiple installations and VM operation

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2023, 10:14:41 AM12/3/23
to motioneye
Is it ok to have two different machines running motioneye?

Is running motioneye on a virtual machine a viable option?

Can both access the same cameras?

StarbaseSSD

Dec 3, 2023, 10:23:35 AM12/3/23
to motioneye
Yes, at times I have 3, one iron, 2 VMs. Testing I might have 4-5 machines running, the one iron, the rest VMs or Pis.

Yes, I test all the alternate OSs on VMs. I have a 14TB NAS I use for storage so no issues for space, YMMV.

Absolutely, if the cameras allow multiple connections concurrently. I share the USB cameras from the iron machine too, with no issues.

Good questions.

StarbaseSSD

Dec 3, 2023, 10:26:14 AM12/3/23
to motioneye
Oh, and BTW, the PIs might be running motionEye on Raspbian, or motionEyeOS, they play nice together too.

StarbaseSSD

Dec 3, 2023, 10:28:56 AM12/3/23
to motioneye
One other note:
if set up correctly with multiple motionEyes, one can be a master and the others slaves, to manage all the cameras from a single instance, even if local detection and recording is not used.

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2023, 10:40:32 AM12/3/23
to motioneye
Ok, thanks.

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2023, 1:50:51 PM12/3/23
to motioneye
Got around to adding a camera to the newly created Debian 11 install which is on a VM.
It apparently finds the camera, but I just get a grey rectangle.
I can ping the camera from the VM terminal window.

On my other install, which is on it's own PC, same camera works fine.

StarbaseSSD

Dec 3, 2023, 2:04:06 PM12/3/23
to motioneye
what camera is it? does it support multiple connections?
what options did you pick when picking the camera?
what do you have selected for resolution and frame rate? is it the same as the iron install?

StarbaseSSD

Dec 3, 2023, 2:05:58 PM12/3/23
to motioneye
Also, can you connect to the iron machine (ip address:8081 if only camera) and remote motioneye camera type?

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2023, 2:16:32 PM12/3/23
to motioneye
It is a hardwired Foscam GJ4.

I selected the same as the iron. network camera, rtsp, same resolution and FR.

The iron has two cameras, connection to 8081 says connection refused.

StarbaseSSD

Dec 3, 2023, 2:29:09 PM12/3/23
to motioneye
Using the correct username (admin) and password for admin?
On the iron machine, do you have streaming enabled for that camera?
If it is, it shows three links, on is streaming. click on it and paste into new camera on the other.
For example one of mine is
and I can paste that into another motioneye as a simple mjpeg camera and it works.
Message has been deleted

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2023, 1:48:35 PM12/4/23
to motioneye
I can set up the VM to stream the camera from the iron motioneye.

I tried to connect with the camera (rtsp) with the iron shutdown, it finds the camera (at least I assume it wouldn't create the camera if it didn't), but just gets a grey screen (as noted earlier).

StarbaseSSD

Dec 4, 2023, 6:20:32 PM12/4/23
to motioneye
I would copy the /etc/motioneye/camera-1.conf file from the working machine to the vm to test.

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2023, 9:15:00 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
I copied the working conf file to the VM. It works.
The diff of the files is below. The left the working, the right not working.
It appears I didn't provide a password...when I created the camera on the VM.
Is this the issue? (Embarrassing.)

Screenshot_20231205_090948.png

StarbaseSSD

Dec 5, 2023, 9:17:33 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
It very well could have been. Glad it's working.

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2023, 9:42:23 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
Now I need to find the password... :(

StarbaseSSD

Dec 5, 2023, 9:55:07 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
password for what?

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2023, 9:59:18 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
The camera, in the last post the image shows a password line in the conf file for the working camera.

StarbaseSSD

Dec 5, 2023, 10:07:11 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
Well, theoretically, username for the camera is dcam and the password is dcamm+c (at least on my setups)

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2023, 10:35:58 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
Ah...I was reading the .conf file and thinking that was something it wasn't.
Message has been deleted

StarbaseSSD

Dec 5, 2023, 10:59:54 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
Were you able to get the stream from the iron?

macdr...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2023, 11:08:17 AM12/5/23
to motioneye
Yeah, it wasn't working. I suspect it was because my dhcp server had rebooted, the rest of the irn on my net seemed to be fine.

In my flailing to get the streaming camera working, I realized after I posted that, I had selected the wrong type of camera.

So, I deleted the post.

All good now.