wifi streaming

Patrick Browne

May 22, 2024, 5:01:29 PMMay 22
to motioneye
Hi,
Kinda know the answer but thought I would ask here just incase.

Running a Raspberry pi 4 hooked up to a LCD TV as an always on monitor to view my motion streams from  a server running motion via docker. Up till last week everything was great, 3 camera streams all coming in at ~15-20 fps all happy.
Two days ago frame rates dropped to 0.1 etc and the wifi was constantly dropping in / out. Redit advised me to change the Pi's SD card, did this. Wifi stays connected but signal is not ideal and streaming fps is still rubbish. The Pi 4 is barely a year old, and activley cooled.
Weirdly the Pi streams 1080 youtube fine, but im guessing youtube is optimised in a way that motion isnt ?

Current thinking is :
Ethernet cable - DIY will be messy and don't want to drill
Buy a Wifi dongle that will help with range ( its 4m to the router on the other side of a wooden door adjacent to a brick wall, my phone shows great wifi 6 signal strength.same for 2.5ghz etc, was working perfect on 5g wifi till this week.

Anyways on off chance other motion users have the same issue?

StarbaseSSD

May 22, 2024, 7:19:03 PMMay 22
to motioneye
Couple of questions:
motioneye on another OS (like Raspbian) or motionEyeOS?
If on Raspbian or another OS, did you do any updates?
Can you move the Pi to a short distance (in the room with the wifi router, temporarily to see if things improve?
If you can ssh into it, or pull a command line window, run
vcgencmd get_throttled
what result does it give you?

StarbaseSSD

May 24, 2024, 8:32:51 AMMay 24
to motioneye
> So brought the Pi within 20cm of my router - the webpage showing camera feeds was showing
> 10-15fps on each of the three streams and reported wifi reception was at 70-90%. I should
> mention that the active cooling on my pi is a metal case with fans so not ideal for wifi but caused
> zero issues in the months previous to this issue.

Sounds like a heat issue has burned up the wifi chip.

> Set up is - Server running motion via docker, and pi running raspbian with a chromium webpage
> open to view the camera feeds 24/7 via old LCD TV that I don't care about. Issue is wifi reception
> has become awful recently, fresh SD card in the pi, no effect.

f you can ssh into it, or pull a command line window, run
vcgencmd get_throttled
what result does it give you?

> Thinking of buying a usb antenna wifi dongle to help boost, any ideas otherwise - Pi model B btw.

would resolve (sorta) the on board wifi issue...