Problem

HL Bracewell

Apr 5, 2024, 9:42:32 AMApr 5
to motioneye
I have a piper computer kit, that i use not for its purpose, i installed motion eye os on my 2gb raspberry pi 4b, it boots, and i can access it via ip adress, but i cannot use my random unbranded usb webcam, and also i when i use a keyboard where it says to sign in, directly on the rasberry pi, no text appers, so icannot type Plese help, Thanks

StarbaseSSD

Apr 5, 2024, 9:48:14 AMApr 5
to motioneye
How did you install motionEyeOS on the RPi4-2GB? With just the image or did you have to add/modify any /boot files?
Can you ssh into the RPi4-2GB running motionEyeOS?
If yes, run the command
> lsusb
and post the results.
If you are running motionEye on Raspbian Buster

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 10:04:55 AMApr 6
to motioneye
so i had to modify the start4.elf and fixup4.dat, i transfered the start4.elf and fixup, from the latest raspberry pi to my copy of motion eye os, on the piper, it tells me to login to motion eye, but when i type something, it does not show up on the raspberry pi. and i cannot type, it just tells me to login, i am unsure how to use ssh, i am new to this, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message has been deleted

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 10:46:37 AMApr 6
to motioneye
It's a known issue to use a different set of files from a newer image of raspbian that causes USB to break in motionEyeOS. You would need to install Raspbian Bullseye (11) which still has access to Python2.7 (which is what motionEye uses) and follow the instructions from here:
If you need the CSI Camera (ribbon cable) you  need to install Raspbian Buster (10) and follow the instructions here:
Both of those methods work well and are fully tested.

On Saturday, April 6, 2024 at 10:11:48 AM UTC-4 hendo...@gmail.com wrote:
and btw yes, i did spend $500 on a computer to not use it for its purposes, my mom got it for me for christmas

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 11:03:36 AMApr 6
to motioneye
so would i copy the start4.elf and fixup4.dat from bullseye to my motion eye os copy?

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 11:04:32 AMApr 6
to motioneye
or do i install bullseye on the piper, then i install motion eye from there?

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 11:09:52 AMApr 6
to motioneye
No. MotionEyeOS runs from a special image created by buildroot and ThingOS. The kernel and support files were built to specially run the needed programs. It's like a docker build or VM using Arch Linux, which is a rolling release, current as of the day it was made. After that, you would need to run the build process again to make it all work together with a newer set of support files. Calin gave it up 2+ years ago to a new set of developers, who have basically stopped working on motionEyeOS, and just work on motionEye.

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 11:11:25 AMApr 6
to motioneye
That is what the instructions I pointed you to in the previous message do. Read them and follow them EXACTLY...

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 12:07:40 PMApr 6
to motioneye
So, do i install bullseye on my raspberry pi, and then run the commands in terminal?

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 12:19:26 PMApr 6
to motioneye
Yes.

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 12:25:58 PMApr 6
to motioneye
when i had ran the wget command for arm64, it did not work, so i restarted terminal, and ran the original command, it has a error and says, "dpkg: error processing package motion:armhf (--install): dependecy problems - leaving unconfigured Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) Errors were encountered while processing" motion:armhf" please help

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 12:37:30 PMApr 6
to motioneye
Run the command
cat /etc/os-release
and post the result, please.

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 12:44:23 PMApr 6
to motioneye
Did you use
dpkg -i pi_buster_motion_4.3.2-1_armhf.deb
or
dpkg -i pi_buster_motion_4.3.2-1_arm64.deb
I just ran both, and both worked. (first one on 32 bit Bullseye lite, the second on 64 bit Bullseye Desktop)

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 1:13:03 PMApr 6
to motioneye
root@raspberrypi:~# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 1:15:23 PMApr 6
to motioneye
while running the first command on the github this error occured "E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution)."

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 1:42:36 PMApr 6
to motioneye
I am getting ready to do a full test. Did you install Bullseye 64 Desktop or Lite?

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 2:15:13 PMApr 6
to motioneye
desktop

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 4:09:39 PMApr 6
to motioneye
    I just imaged a SDCard and inserted into an Pi4-2GB
I then ran the ollowing commands:
    sudo su
    apt update && apt upgrade && apt clean && apt autoclean && apt autoremove -y
    1   apt-get install ffmpeg libmariadb3 libpq5 libmicrohttpd12 -y
    2  wget https://github.com/Motion-Project/motion/releases/download/release-4.3.2/buster_motion_4.3.2-1_arm64.deb
    3   dpkg -i buster_motion_4.3.2-1_arm64.deb
    4   systemctl stop motion
    5   systemctl disable motion
    6  apt-get install python2 python-dev-is-python2 -y
    7  curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/pip/2.7/get-pip.py --output get-pip.py
    8  python2 get-pip.py
    9  apt-get install libssl-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libjpeg-dev zlib1g-dev -y
   10   pip2 install motioneye
   11   mkdir -p /etc/motioneye
   12  cp /usr/local/share/motioneye/extra/motioneye.conf.sample /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf
   13   mkdir -p /var/lib/motioneye
   14  cp /usr/local/share/motioneye/extra/motioneye.systemd-unit-local /etc/systemd/system/motioneye.service
   15  systemctl daemon-reload
   16   systemctl enable motioneye
   17   systemctl start motioneye
Open web browser on the Pi4-2GB and go to URL:
Should take you to the motionEye web interface. Username is admin, all lower case, password is blank, I select the 'Remember Me'
It should prompt you to add a camera. Local V4l2 is USB. Local MMAL is the CSI ribbon cable, Network is any networkable camera, normal is http://<ip address>:port, if it supports rtsp then use rtsp://<ip address>:port it uses. The last two are for other motionEye systems or cameras like a d-link (old school)

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 6:13:23 PMApr 6
to motioneye
ok i see where i went wrong here, so was i supposed to run the wget command, then after, run the dpkt?

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 6:34:13 PMApr 6
to motioneye

Yes, step 2 gets the correct version of motion program from the motion github, then step 3 dpkg installs it.

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 6:36:15 PMApr 6
to motioneye
so the problem was not the wget command, i had to update some stuff in terminal then it worked, i did all of the commands and and i went to the web page, and it does not load

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 6:41:52 PMApr 6
to motioneye
Restart from the beginning.  Start with sudo su and do each command as in the previous message. It works.

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 6:46:13 PMApr 6
to motioneye
ok, so do i enter the website on the pi or my pc

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 6:57:01 PMApr 6
to motioneye
so i have gotten it to work and load on my pc, but i cannot view on my computer pc or phone

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 6:57:20 PMApr 6
to motioneye
On the Pi you would open the browser on the desktop, and go to http://localhost:8765
On a PC on the same network, you would go to http://<ip_address_of_the_Pi>:8765 in Edge, Chrome, or Firefox.

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 7:06:02 PMApr 6
to motioneye
is it at all possible for me to use it when away from the house

StarbaseSSD

Apr 6, 2024, 7:25:07 PMApr 6
to motioneye
Possible? Yes. I have done so in the past, using the nginx proxy and port forwarding, but it's WAY beyond my level of free support, though.

HL Bracewell

Apr 6, 2024, 8:13:36 PMApr 6
to motioneye
Thanks for your help