not responding

Patrick Browne

Dec 31, 2023, 2:40:51 PM12/31/23
to motioneye
Hi,
So (foolishly)built a motioneye server for a non tech family member and issues. I build the server using a docker container.
Anyways the issue is they turn on a raspberrypi to look at the motioneye page and the server gives no reply. I ssh'd into the server and saw 100% usage of /

The only time this error happened to me before was when I had so many recordings that the machine ran out of space.

I'm trying to fix this all via video chats on whatsapp, can anyone recommend the easiest way to go about fixing the issue. My initial idea is, find the recordings file and delete all, and rebuild the docker container ?

Nich a Dad4 Service

Jan 1, 2024, 1:25:18 AMJan 1
to motioneye
Not sure if this will help,

I use a script to delete the oldest files when the drive reaches 98% until it's down to 97% (128GB drive) I have it check every 5 min. Set it to run via crontab -e. Will give full script if I can find it. A 5TB drive went belly up on me recently and I just determined the script was on it ... Will try SSH'ing to one of my MEOS's to get it.

Got it... See attached .txt file (eol is Linux formatted so it won't look right in windows notepad use Notepad++)

You'll need to name it something with a ".sh" at the end and make it executable with chmod +x
You'll also need to set the data directory

I put the script file in /data/meye-delete-oldest.sh
Do some testing and messing round with it

If you need full step by step I can provide but hope this helps

Using SSH you should be able to put that script onto the family members setup. I'm not familiar with "docker container"'s so if this doesn't work please let me know so I don't give silly advice in the future :)

Nich
delete oldest.txt

StarbaseSSD

Jan 2, 2024, 10:26:02 AMJan 2
to motioneye
Sorry I've taken so long to respond, had an unexpected trip to DC over the weekend...
Nich: very good solution long term to prevent to issue of the OP.
Mr Man:
the movie and picture files in MotionEyeOS are kept bt default in
/home/ftp/sdcard/ camera name / date /
and
/home/ftp/storage/
the easiest way to delete all the mp4 & jpgs in those folders is:

/usr/bin/find /home/ftp -name *.thumb -delete
/usr/bin/find /home/ftp -name *.mp4 -delete
/usr/bin/find /home/ftp -name *.jpg -delete

This should at least clear enough space to allow it to start working again.
You can then modify the commands a bit to run in crontab to clear them regularly.

I would also set movies, preserve movies, custom, and set lifetime to 3 days. Ditto for still images.

Let us know if we can be of further help.

Patrick Browne

Jan 15, 2024, 3:19:47 PMJan 15
to StarbaseSSD, motioneye
Very late reply to StarbaseSSD & Nich,

I had a problem with a friends installation recording too much and the server not working, had over 90GB of recordings! anyways a quick rm -r as suggested did the trick and rebooted the server. Just wanted to say thanks to both StarbaseSSD and Nich for the suggestions and the offered clean up script. All well now. In case its of any use movies were stored in /docker/motioneye/var/lib so inside docker however I set up volumes.

One final question I have, the above has happened to me before and happened this time, upon restarting the server I just get the no camera icon - the camera's IP shows on the router and all the credentials are correct, no amount of restarting the camera or server help - in the end I just re add the camera, but annoying.

Thanks again.

StarbaseSSD

Jan 15, 2024, 3:34:00 PMJan 15
to motioneye
On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 3:19:47 PM UTC-5 Mr Man wrote:

One final question I have, the above has happened to me before and happened this time, upon restarting the server I just get the no camera icon - the camera's IP shows on the router and all the credentials are correct, no amount of restarting the camera or server help - in the end I just re add the camera, but annoying.

Thanks again.

This is usually caused by something changing, and docker is a unique animal. It is difficult to troubleshoot because not all needed pieces are available when you go to an interactive session within the docker container. It may be communications on the docker side, it may be the camera goes to 'sleep' (We've had that issue before in the motionEye and motionEyeOS github issues, some brands just aren't reliable or have 'sleep' modes. You'd have to go through their setup apps and see if they have a power saver mode, or something similar. You may be able to have something do as simple as a ping every minute, or have another app just download a jpg every minute and discard it, or if you are not using snapshots, have motionEye grab a snapshot every minute, then at the end of the day discard that day's pics (Keep, Custom, 1 day). Lots of possibilities. You can check, too, if a phone or another PC can view the camera directly when the docker can't. That would point to an issue on the docker side...

Barry Gilchrist

Feb 8, 2024, 12:33:57 PMFeb 8
to motioneye
Is there a way of passing the user and pw when opening a browser on to motioneyeos.
I've tried http://<user>:<pw>@<motioneyeos>
But that didn't work.
I know I can 'save' the user/pw for the browser, but this doesn't seem to work if the url is opened within an iframe in an html file.
Thanks
Barry

StarbaseSSD

Feb 8, 2024, 12:37:13 PMFeb 8
to motioneye
Are you trying to open the main web page or a single camera stream? If you are opening the main webui in a browser, you can use the Remember Me setting...

Barry Gilchrist

Feb 8, 2024, 1:11:37 PMFeb 8
to StarbaseSSD, motioneye
Thanks for quick reply.
It's the main webui...
I use the remember me setting but it doesn’t work if the website is opened in an iframe.
Thanks
Barry

StarbaseSSD

Feb 8, 2024, 1:16:11 PMFeb 8
to motioneye
I don't believe that was a scenario anticipated by Calin.

Barry Gilchrist

Feb 8, 2024, 1:23:27 PMFeb 8
to StarbaseSSD, motioneye
That's what I was thinking ...