Gpk Castle Hill

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Roselee Kruppa

unread,
Aug 4, 2024, 3:35:47 PM8/4/24
to motekanvers
Thisplayground, like the adjacent school, takes its name from the surrounding neighborhood, Castle Hill. The area was named by Adriaen Block, a 17th century New Netherland Company explorer, who thought that a fortified Siwanoy Indian village in the area resembled a castle. Additionally, Castle Hill Avenue was originally a path used by the Siwanoy as early as 700 A.D.Read More

Baranof Castle State Historic Site ("Castle Hill") is the center of Tlingit, Russian and United States history in the area. Commonly referred to as Castle Hill, this park is one of the most historically significant sites in Alaska. Tlingit natives originally inhabited this area and built a strategic fortification (Noow Tlein) at this site.Between 1804-1867 Russians occupied this site, as the capital building of Russian American and center of business for the Russian American Company.



Prior to the arrival of Europeans in the area, Castle Hill was occupied by families of the Kiksadi clan of Tlingits. Alexander Baranov, a leading figure in the Russian-American Company, arrived in the Sitka area in 1795, and sought to establish a trading post on the hill. He ended up establishing Redoubt St. Archangel Michael several miles away in 1799; this trading post was destroyed by the Tlingit in 1802. Baranov returned to Sitka in force in 1804. After the six-day Battle of Sitka, Russians seized control of Castle Hill, destroyed the Tlingit houses and immediately began to build their own settlement. The Tlingit formally ceded Castle Hill to the Russians in 1805.

In 1806 the Russians transferred the headquarters of the Russian-American Company and the seat of government of Russian Alaska from Kodiak to Sitka, and Castle Hill was the focal point of the company and government facilities until 1867. They built a succession of structures on the hill's summit. The last of these, a two-story brick building with a cupola on top known as the Governor's House, was built in 1836 and was destroyed by fire in 1894.



In 1867, after the Alaska Purchase was negotiated, Russian Alaska was formally transferred to the United States in a ceremony held on Castle Hill. The Russian-built Governor's House was occupied by United States Army commanders until 1877 and remained a center of US government administration until the building burned. In 1898 the hill was transferred to the United States Department of Agriculture, which built a structure on the hill which served as its Alaska headquarters until 1932. This building was then used for a variety of commercial purposes before it was demolished in 1955. The site was then designated a territorial park.



When Alaska was admitted as the 49th U.S. state in 1959, Castle Hill was the location where the first 49-star U.S. flag in Alaska was raised, though the ceremony was unofficial and secret. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1962 and was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1966. In 1965 a stone parapet was constructed on the hill, and interpretive plaques were added to a display of six cannons and a flagpole. The property is now administered as part of the Alaska state park system.


The walled area consists of two distinct parts: the Old Town to the north, where commoners once lived, and the Royal Palace to the south, the original site of the castle built by Bla IV in the 13th century and reserved for the nobility.


There are many ways to reach Castle Hill from Pest. The easiest way is to take bus 16 from Dek Ferenc tr to Dsz tr, more or less the central point between the Old Town and the Royal Palace. Much more fun, though, is to stroll across Szchenyi Chain Bridge and board the Sikl, a funicular railway built in 1870 that ascends steeply from Clark dm tr to Szent Gyrgy tr near the Royal Palace.


Alternatively, you can walk up the Kirly lpcső (Royal Steps) leading northwest off Clark dm tr. Just south of Clark dm tr, a staircase and lift from Lnchd utca lead to the Neo-Renaissance Garden of the Castle Garden Bazaar, and from there stairs, lifts and an escalator will take you up to Castle Hill.


Another option is to take metro M2 to Szll Klmn tr, go up the stairs or escalator in the southeastern part of the square and walk up Vrfok utca to Vienna Gate. This medieval entrance to the Old Town was rebuilt in 1936 to mark the 250th anniversary of the castle being taken back from the Turks. Buses 16, 16A and 116 follows the same route from the start of Vrfok utca.


No longer a royal residence, the palace is now home to the Budapest History Museum and the Hungarian National Gallery. The gallery hosts a large collection of Hungarian paintings, drawings and sculptures.


In the western courtyard of Buda Palace is Matthias Fountain. The fountain tells the story of Ilonka (heroine of a famous 19th century ballad by Mihly Vrsmarty) and how she fell in love with King Matthias when he was out hunting incognito.


Standing on the highest rock, a dead stag at his feet, is King Matthias. On the rocks below him a henchman blows his horn while another hunter rests. Three hounds complete the central part of the fountain.


Also in the western courtyard of the palace, is a statue of a wild horse being tamed. It used to stand in front of the Riding School before it was restored and re-erected across from Matthias Fountain.


Trinity square is essentially the main part of the Old Town. In the centre of the square is the Trinity Column, commemorating the end of the plague epidemic. The column is decorated with statues of little angels and larger statues of saints, topped off by a sculpture representing the Holy Trinity.


The Church of Our Lady is more commonly known as Matthias Church. It is named after popular King Matthias Corvinus, who was married here (twice actually!) and commissioned a considerable expansion, including the addition of the oratory.


The Vienna Gate is the only existing old-town gate and all four roads on the hill converge here, the northern entrance of the district. Take the stairs to the top of the gate to see a great view of the Buda Hills.


The Church of St. Mary Magdalene managed to survive significant wartime bombardment. All that has been reconstructed is the tower and one Gothic window. At the end of the courtyard in front of the church, is a tall structure that looks like a church window. Below that is a bronze recreation of the Hungarian coronation robe.


The complex cave system under Castle Hill was created almost half a million years ago by hot-water springs. The caves were inhabited by early man and more recently, used as a secret military base during the Cold War, and as a hospital during World War II.


Continuing to walk through the dimly lit cave, we came across displays of seemingly random things, like fragments from buildings and the so called tomb of Dracula. Vlad Tepes, also known as Vlad the Impaler or Count Dracula, was imprisoned here in the labyrinth by King Matthias.


Getting There: The easiest way to get to Castle Hill is to take the funicular from Clark dm tr, at the Buda end of the Chain Bridge. We decided to walk up the path leading from Clark Adam Square. It was an easy, scenic walk.


Hungarian National Gallery: Entrance to the permanent exhibitions at the National Gallery costs 3400 HUF. The gallery is open from Tuesday- Sunday 10:00 a.m.- 6:00 p.m. The ticket office closes at 5:00 p.m. Confirm current prices and hours here.


For your convenience, here is a list of hotels in Budapest. Please consider booking your Budapest accommodations through the included link. It costs nothing extra and helps support this website. Thank you!

3a8082e126
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages