In conversation with: Howard Greenberg

1605 Collective

Jun 23, 2024, 12:40:00 AM (12 days ago) Jun 23
to mossless...@gmail.com
A prominent figure in the world of photography. Howard Greenberg is a collector, photography dealer, and gallery owner based in New York.
1605 Collective

HOWARD GREENBERG
in conversation with 1605 Collective

an excerpt of 1605 Magazine

Photo: Portrait Howard Greenberg by Bastiaan Woudt

Howard Greenberg (b. 1948, United States) is a collector, photography dealer and gallerist from New York. His gallery, the Howard Greenberg Gallery, celebrated its 40 year-anniversary in 2022. In the 1st issue of 1605 Magazine, we chatted with Greenberg about his passion for photography and the ways it’s evolved, how and why he collects and photography books as a medium.

Photo: BRUCE DAVIDSON, Brooklyn Gang, 1959.
© Bruce Davidson / Magnum Photos, Courtesy Howard Greenberg Gallery, NY

What is your view on contemporary photography? Do you see any upcoming trends?

In the last 25 years, photography itself has changed thanks to technological advancements—the digital camera, smartphones, Photoshop and a host of other editing programmes. Every tool used in the process of making pictures has made contemporary photography what it is today, opening the door to new kinds of photographs, from both a technical and a socio-political perspective.

READ MORE

DO YOU LIKE IT?
Shop our print magazine incl. our full interview with Howard Greenberg

SHOP | STORIES | MAGAZINE | OUR STORY

1605 Collective

Hazenkoog 9
1822 BS Alkmaar