June Highlights

Mousse

Jun 27, 2024, 11:30:36 AM (8 days ago) Jun 27
to mossless...@gmail.com
Mousse 88 is now available, as “Islands of Kinship: A Collective Manual for Sustainable and Inclusive Art Institutions,” and “Ludovic Nkoth: What If.”

As our latest issue, Mousse 88 – Summer 2024, is now available, think through the editorial letter and explore this month's selection of articles and new books by Mousse Magazine and Publishing.

CONVERSATIONS
Unsafe Spaces: The Relation of Art to Social and Political Struggles in Times of War
Max Jorge Hinderer Cruz in conversation with Ana Teixeira Pinto

Germany has been making international headlines in the past several months for a spate of cancellations of cultural and artistic events by now too numerous to list. But as the current crackdowns against academic freedom and student protests in the United States and France make clear, the country is not alone in implementing a McCarthyist climate, nor in publicizing politicized accusations against artists and intellectuals with insufficient regard to evidence. Are we witnessing an illiberal turn, or was liberal democracy never anything but a set of imperialist global arrangements meant to outsource violence and repression to the peripheries while championing civility and open debate at home?
Ana Teixeira Pinto
NEW PUBLICATION
Islands of Kinship: A Collective Manual for Sustainable and Inclusive Art Institutions
Islands of Kinship: A Collective Manual for Sustainable and Inclusive Art Institutions
€ 35 / $ 40
Buy the Book
ESSAYS
John Giorno: Words, Sound, Wisdom
by Alison Coplan

“When you call any of the still-active versions of Dial-A-Poem today, you hear a pregnant pause. Three seconds of nothing on the other end —enough to make you wonder if this project from 1968 is still working. Then there is John Giorno, the maestro and ringleader, with an announcement. His distinctive accent and charisma, enunciating clearly and as present as ever, drips through the title as he states it each time along with the name of the poet whose work follows. DIAL-A-POEM: ___” Retracing the genesis of Dial-A-Poem (1968–ongoing), Alison Coplan (@alicopes) explores how John Giorno (1936–2019) (@giorno_poetry_systems) sought to experiment with new ways for poets to make art.
Voices on the Radio, Language on My Mind: Poetry’s Resurgence in Contemporary Art
by Allison Grimaldi Donahue
Maryam Tafakory: In the Name of the Earthly Rebellion
by Övül Ö. Durmuşoğlu
FOCUS ON
“Where We Begin” from the publication Nil Yalter: Circular Tension
by Omar Kholeif
“Answers Not: Cauleen Smith Film Experiments” from the publication Cauleen Smith: Breaking Cinema. Experimental Film 2010–2023
by Romi Crawford
NEW PUBLICATION
Ludovic Nkoth: What If
Ludovic Nkoth: What If
€ 30 / $ 35
Buy the Book
TIDBITS
Valentin Noujaïm: We Declare Him Enchanted
by Edwin Nasr
Ian Waelder: Today’s News Will Always Be Tomorrow’s History
by Carina Bukuts
REVIEWS
Beverly Buchanan “I Broke the House” at gta exhibitions — ETH Zurich
by Juliette Desorgues

Prefacing the main gallery space at @ethzurich is a large wall covered in handwritten statements. These proclamations, filled with caustic sarcasm about the exclusionary pitfalls of the art world, are taken from artist Beverly Buchanan’s (1940–2015) undated publication I Hope This Helps You Survive Your Gallery Visit, and offer the viewer a playfully ironic introduction to the recent exhibition, “I Broke the House.”

Juliette Desorges’ (@juliette.desorgues) review of the first exhibition in Europe to foreground Buchanan’s five-decade practice, which also features works by historical figures such as Ana Mendieta and Kazuko Miyamato and contemporary artists including Aria Dean (@lol_prosciutto), Devin T. Mays (@devintmays) and Cameron Rowland, is now online at the link in bio.
NEW TITLES
Cauleen Smith: Breaking Cinema. Experimental Film 2010–2023
Cauleen Smith: Breaking Cinema. Experimental Film 2010–2023
€ 18 / $ 22
Buy the Book
Conrad Shawcross: Cascading Principles. Expansions Within Geometry, Philosophy, and Interference
Conrad Shawcross: Cascading Principles. Expansions Within Geometry, Philosophy, and Interference
€ 35 / $ 40
Buy the Book
Textile Textures: Multithreaded Narratives
Textile Textures: Multithreaded Narratives
€ 30 / $ 35
Buy the Book
Subscribe now to receive one full year of Mousse in print and access to our fully browsable digital archive.

Looking for an institutional subscription? Enquire here to provide students and visitors with access to more than eighty issues to date.

Mousse Magazine and Publishing
via Decembrio 28, 20137 Milan
Contact us here
You have received this e-mail because you have successfully subscribed to Mousse Magazine and Publishing newsletter. You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this distribution list at any time.

Was this e-mail forwarded to you? Sign up here.