In conversation with: Axel Vervoordt

1605 Collective

Jun 9, 2024, 12:57:27 AMJun 9
to mossless...@gmail.com
At first glance, Kanaal appears simple and inconspicuous. But, upon entering the property, it is hard not to feel overwhelmed by its sheer presence and aura
1605 Collective

AXEL VERVOORDT
in conversation with Sanne Bolten

an excerpt of 1605 Magazine

Photo: Portrait Axel Vervoordt by Bastiaan Woudt

At first glance, Kanaal appears simple and inconspicuous. But, upon entering the property, it is hard not to feel overwhelmed by its sheer presence and aura. Once a derelict distillery, now the sprawling nerve center of luminary Axel Vervoordt, and a captivating sanctuary where art, architecture, and nature collide.

Vervoordt emerges from among the trees, approaching with a pleasant rhythm to his stride and a subtle smile.

Welcome, thank you for coming. I have a space in mind where we can talk in comfort.

Mostly known as an interior designer, art collector and antiquary, multi-hyphenate Axel Vervoordt began his sixty-year career at the tender age of fourteen. A young man in his formative years, he traveled to England all by himself. Scavenging for collectibles – silver wares, paintings, and Chinese furniture respectively – that he would then sell to his parents’ relatives.

Fast-forward to today, he has an inventory of over 16,000 objects – and he is an eminent tastemaker celebrated for his sophisticated flair. Notable clients include Sting, Calvin Klein and Robert De Niro.

READ MORE

DO YOU LIKE IT?
Shop our print magazine incl. full story of Axel Vervoordt in conversation with Sanne Bolten

SHOP | STORIES | MAGAZINE | OUR STORY

1605 Collective

Hazenkoog 9
1822 BS Alkmaar