Connection Problem

cyber...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2014, 9:40:10 PM1/22/14
to mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
Downloaded Mosh-Chrome from webstore and installed on Samsung Chromebook. Using ssh mode, entered user id and IP address and got the following:

Trying authentication type Password
Password:
Bad response when running mosh-server: invalid option -- 'l'
Usage: ....
MOSH CONNECT 60001 <snipped>

Tried this from two different networks, one heavily firewalled and another minimally so. Both these networks allow me to use mosh from Apple OSX. So I suspect that the problem might be elsewhere.

Richard Perry Woodbury III

Jan 22, 2014, 10:21:48 PM1/22/14
to cyber...@gmail.com, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
Check what version of Mosh you have installed on the server. It may be quite old. It looks like the '-l' switch was added in this commit (2012-04-14) and is part of Mosh 1.2:
Richie

Jenó Doma

Jan 23, 2014, 8:21:24 PM1/23/14
to mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com, cyber...@gmail.com
Ubuntu LTS 12.04 only installs v1.1.3 - so I guess I'll need to install from sources.  Have downloaded the tarball, but can't find the instructions to install from source.  Any suggestions?

Richard Woodbury

Jan 23, 2014, 10:58:12 PM1/23/14
to Jenó Doma, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
Ah, good point. I'm also running Ubuntu LTS, but I have the precise-backports repo installed, which makes available 1.2.4.

Maybe I should try without the '-l' option first, though, to be more compatible. I've opened an issue to look into that. In the interim, just install precise-backports and upgrade the mosh package.

Richie

Richard Woodbury

Jan 24, 2014, 2:12:05 AM1/24/14
to Jenó Doma, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
This is fixed in v0.1.2.19, which is rolling out now.

Thanks for the report!
Richie

Jenó Doma

Jan 28, 2014, 8:42:08 PM1/28/14
to mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the tip.  For some reason an update from backports didn't work.  So I just download  mosh_1.2.4a-1~ubuntu12.04.1_i386.deb and installed it with dpkg.  It all works fine now. Much easier than trying to rebuild from the tarball.

Thank you for your assistance.

Richard Perry Woodbury III

Jan 29, 2014, 9:33:58 AM1/29/14
to Jenó Doma, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
It should no longer be necessary to update the package on the server. Feel free to revert the server package to the one in the regular repo and give it a go.

Richie

Jenó Doma

Jan 29, 2014, 6:38:35 PM1/29/14
to mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com, Jenó Doma
I was happy to leave that server with the update in place.

Tried the updated Mosh for ChromeOS connecting to a server that still had mosh server v1.1.3 on it and it works fine.

Thanks for your efforts.  You have spared me from having to do non-LTS updates on a bunch of other servers.