Charset error

David Brodbeck

Jan 20, 2014, 7:12:29 PM1/20/14
to mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
Running under Windows XP, with Chrome Canary, I get the following error when I try to connect:

Bad response when running mosh-server: 'mosh-server needs a UTF-8 native locale to run.

Unfortunately, the local environment ([no charset variables]) specifies
the character set "US-ASCII",

The client-supplied environment ([no charset variables]) specifies
the character set "US-ASCII".

LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=
'

Richard Perry Woodbury III

Jan 20, 2014, 7:15:46 PM1/20/14
to David Brodbeck, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Do you not see this same error when you connect to the same server with the normal "mosh" Perl script? What if you just run this:

$ ssh -t <server> mosh-server

(That's essentially all Mosh for Chrome is doing.)

Richie

Chris Anderson

Jan 20, 2014, 7:24:06 PM1/20/14
to Richard Perry Woodbury III, David Brodbeck, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
I had the same problem as David running chrome beta on osx. Was able to successfully connect using manual setup (manually supplying MOSH_KEY).

curiously, the mosh wrapper script works just fine in osx, but ssh -t ... fails with the same error I get with the chrome app.

David Brodbeck

Jan 20, 2014, 7:28:42 PM1/20/14
to Richard Perry Woodbury III, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
I'm not entirely sure how to test that on Windows XP; I don't have a command line version of SSH installed.  (Except in Cygwin, where mosh works fine.)

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Richard Perry Woodbury III <rpwo...@mybox.org> wrote:

--
GPG Key Fingerprint: 0DB7 4B50 8910 DBC5 B510 79C4 3970 2BC3 2078 D875

Richard Woodbury

Jan 20, 2014, 8:25:48 PM1/20/14
to Chris Anderson, David Brodbeck, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Chris Anderson <c...@pobox.com> wrote:
curiously, the mosh wrapper script works just fine in osx, but ssh -t ... fails with the same error I get with the chrome app.

That's a very good datapoint. I've opened an issue to track it; please follow along there. I'll read through the Perl script to see what it is doing differently. There must be something different about the locale setup on your server than any of mine, which the Perl script solves.

Richie

Richard Perry Woodbury III

Jan 22, 2014, 12:32:53 AM1/22/14
to c...@pobox.com, gu...@gull.us, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
I have implemented a workaround in 0.1.1.17 (rolling out now). See the issue for details. Let me know if it works for you.

Richie

David Brodbeck

Jan 22, 2014, 2:57:27 PM1/22/14
to Richard Perry Woodbury III, c...@pobox.com, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
I'm able to connect now, so the workaround appears to work.  I'll give it a workout today and see what I find.

One item I've noticed is the ssh connection timeout is rather short.  As a sysadmin I often have to connect to systems with high load averages and mosh gives up a lot quicker than the OS X mosh or ssh binaries.  Not sure if this is something you get to specify, though.

Richard Perry Woodbury III

Jan 22, 2014, 3:03:23 PM1/22/14
to gu...@gull.us, c...@pobox.com, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
Glad it works for you now.

Yes, the timeout is 10 seconds. This is too short, and not changeable by the user. I've opened an issue to track this.

Richie

Richard Woodbury

Feb 3, 2014, 1:39:53 AM2/3/14
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM, David Brodbeck <gu...@gull.us> wrote:
One item I've noticed is the ssh connection timeout is rather short.  As a sysadmin I often have to connect to systems with high load averages and mosh gives up a lot quicker than the OS X mosh or ssh binaries.  Not sure if this is something you get to specify, though.

The latest version v0.2.0.20 extends this from 10s to 30s. Let me know if that helps.

Richie

David Brodbeck

Feb 4, 2014, 2:53:53 AM2/4/14
to Richard Woodbury, mosh-chr...@googlegroups.com
I think it should.  I'll try it over my tethered cell phone some time soon; that was where I mainly saw the issue with connection timeouts.