Bug in Wavelength.py

stiny...@g.hmc.edu

Jun 16, 2014, 4:10:29 PM6/16/14
to mosfi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nick,

In the for loop from line 717 to line 745, the variable "coeffs" is never defined if the first if condition (line 719) is not satisfied. This causes an error when "coeffs" is called at line 747.

Best,
Kaew

Nick Konidaris

Jun 16, 2014, 4:39:35 PM6/16/14
to mosfi...@googlegroups.com
This is an interesting catch.

The bug you found implies that the wavelength solution failed on the first pixel in the slit. I've never seen such a failure before, can you tell me what happened in your date such that this bug appeared?

The issue number is 64, I'll correct it in a future release.

~n

   +1 831 704 6425

Kaew Tinyanont

Jun 16, 2014, 5:03:49 PM6/16/14
to mosfi...@googlegroups.com
I'm not entirely sure since other frames from the same night work fine. The most likely cause is that the last slit's edge extends to the very bottom of the frame but the skylines stop short of that (at around pixel 120.) So I got large RMS error in pixel 1-120 during the "apply_lambda" stage.

By the way, is there a way to manually specify slit edges?

Best,
Kaew

(Kaew) Samaporn Tinyanont
HMC '15

hanae...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2014, 1:52:42 PM7/22/14
to mosfi...@googlegroups.com, stiny...@g.hmc.edu, in...@noao.edu
Hi Kaew, Nick,

I actually also encounterd the same issue. It seems that it happened at Slit 1 -- I modified the "for i" loop in the "apply_lambda_sky_and_arc" funtion to skip the first slit, and it ran through without any problems. And yes, as Kaew's, I got larger RMS errors (> 0.5) for S01 (@ p7 to p18) compared with the other slits when I ran "Wavelength.fit_lambda". The others are almost all around ~0.1.

Hanae

2014年6月16日月曜日 14時03分49秒 UTC-7 Kaew Tinyanont:

Nick Konidaris

Jul 22, 2014, 3:51:15 PM7/22/14
to mosfi...@googlegroups.com, stiny...@g.hmc.edu, in...@noao.edu
Thanks,

Can you send me the wavelength data that the pipeline is trying to fit?

Sent from Gmail Mobile