2024-02-29 Question whether to consider as a late maternal death or not? - Response 1

mortality-forum

Feb 29, 2024, 2:35:05 PMFeb 29
to mortality-forum

Dear All,

 I have a query regarding a woman who died 10 months post-partum from suicide due to anti-depressant overdose (pt had been prescribed these meds). She was a known case of schizo-affective disorder prior to the pregnancy and also abuser of drugs and alcohol.

 Would you consider this as a late maternal death or not?

 I have coded it as X61.9 till now but I am not sure as it would not show it would be a late maternal case if this is the case.

 thank you and regards

 Kathleen England

 Malta

 Response from Canada

 Dear All,

 In Canada we would not code it as a maternal death.  The reason is the exclusions as the start of Chapter 15, excludes all external causes.  Therefore, we would code it to X61.

 Thank you.

 Kind regards,

 Kathy O'Brien

Statistics Canada