2024-04-09, Definition of neonatal mortality - Response 1

mortality-forum

Apr 12, 2024, 3:29:32 AMApr 12
to mortality-forum

Good morning, I am writing to you with a question.  I understand that infant mortality is taken from birth to 28 days of age, but I am seeing literature that takes infant mortality up to the 27th day.  Does that mean that the period changed?  Very grateful for your guidance.

Cruz.

Response from Ali Sadek

Dear Cruz, Dear All,

Good day.

I think it is a very good chance to clarify this issue, as the Volume 2 of ICD10 conveys some confusion for non-English speakers, but it was clearer in the Reference Guide of ICD11.

Let me start with your question with my comments in red:

"I understand that infant (you mean neonatal) mortality is taken from birth to 28 days of age, but I am seeing literature that takes infant ( again you mean neonatal) mortality up to the 27th day.  Does that mean that the period changed (No)?".

In the Reference Guide of ICD11:

2.25.4.1 Terms used in perinatal and neonatal mortality

The neonatal period commences at birth and ends 28 completed days after birth i.e. includes days 0 – 27 after birth.

So, we can make good use of other definitions:

The perinatal period commences at 22 completed weeks of gestation and ends 7 completed days after birth, i.e. includes days 0 – 6 after birth.

Early neonatal mortality rate = (early neonatal deaths (day 0-6) ≥ 28 weeks gestation /live births ≥ 28 weeks gestation) x 1000.

2.25.4.7 Under-five mortality

Under-5 mortality (Under-5 mortality rate – probability of dying between birth and exactly 5 years of age, expressed per 1,000 live births.) is a leading indicator of the level of child health, quality of life, health infrastructure, and overall development in countries. It is also the SDG indicator.

(Exactly 5 year of age are not included, i.e. from zero to 4Yrs, 11 months, 29 days , 23 Hrs and 59 Minutes)

2.25.4.8 Infant mortality

Infant mortality (infant mortality rate – probability of dying between birth and exactly 1 year of age, expressed per 1,000 live births) is an indicator for quality of life and health infrastructure.

 (one year of age are not included, i.e. from zero to 11 months, 29 days , 23 Hrs and 59 Minutes)

 I hope this will clarify the issue.

Thank you,

Ali