Morse Expert 1.05

Alex VE3NEA

Dec 15, 2020, 9:06:32 PM12/15/20
to Morse Expert for Android
I have just uploaded v.1.05 of Morse Expert to Google Play. They are going to review it before they make it available for download. I am not sure how long this will take, hopefully no more than 1-2 days. I don't know yet if the program will be automatically updated on your phones or will require a manual update.

New in this version:
  - the waterfall display now spans the whole screen horizontally on all devices;
  - the Save Signals menu command renamed to Record Signals since this command just starts recording;
  - if write text to file fails, the toast message shows the error details;
  - poor decoding at very high SNR is fixed, TNX to Ed W2RF for the signal recordings that helped me to diagnose the problem.

Morse Expert still does not always select the right signal for decoding, please keep using the frequency fix (yellow triangle) when testing the decoding accuracy.

73 Alex VE3NEA

Alex VE3NEA

Dec 16, 2020, 8:58:05 AM12/16/20
to Morse Expert for Android
v.1.05 has been approved, please all testers make sure that you have this version.

ehru...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2020, 2:37:57 PM12/16/20
to Alex VE3NEA, Morse Expert for Android

Alex,

I tested v1.05 with direct audio from the Flex against CWS with the SDR-IQ. With Ham Radio QSO enabled it is clear that both are running the same decoding algorithm. There is rarely a difference!

I tune CWS by clicking on the callsign. ME looks to be trying to automatically select the signal, but doesn’t always get it right, as you noted.

Looking good!

Ed / W2RF

Alex VE3NEA

Dec 16, 2020, 7:30:00 PM12/16/20
to Morse Expert for Android
Hi Ed,

1.05 uses the same decoding algorithm as 1.04, with only one difference that plays a role when decoding synthetic signals with very little noise. The algorithm was designed to work with very weak signals that are barely above the noise, and accurate estimation of the the noise level is critical to successful decoding. This algorithm did not work very well on the recording that you sent me because there was virtually no noise in it. This is fixed in v.1.05, now your recording decodes without errors.

ehru...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2020, 6:41:06 AM12/17/20
to Alex VE3NEA, Morse Expert for Android

Hi Alex,

Well unless fixing the high SNR decoding had some side effects I can’t explain why decoding is much better now. Maybe it’s that I have better signal level and AGC adjustments. At any rate It’s interesting to look at the decoded text in both apps and see the same spacing corrections and coloring of callsigns happening. An occasional blip but mostly identical.

ra3ttwa3tt

Dec 17, 2020, 7:05:55 AM12/17/20
to Morse Expert for Android
Playing with Morse Expert in Ham Radio Mode I notice pretty odd word segmentation.
The incoming cw message ANDY ANDY ES QTH was decoded in the following manner AND Y AND YES QTH.

среда, 16 декабря 2020 г. в 05:06:32 UTC+3, ve3...@gmail.com:

Alex VE3NEA

Dec 17, 2020, 11:19:41 AM12/17/20
to Morse Expert for Android
This is expected. The Ham mode works best on the pileup and contest messages, disable it when decoding anything else.