Isolation transformer

Alex VE3NEA

Jan 1, 2021, 6:33:46 PM1/1/21
to Morse Expert for Android
I have just received the audio isolation transformer that I bought on eBay for $5 a couple of months ago:

isolation_transformer.jpg
This transformer, when inserted between the radio and the smartphone adapter described on the Morse Expert web page, completely eliminates the ground loops. Now I can connect both the audio and USB cables to the phone at the same time, without any signal quality degradation.

Happy New Year!
73 Alex VE3NEA

ehru...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2021, 3:17:56 PM1/3/21
to Alex VE3NEA, Morse Expert for Android

I used one of those in my car. It was very effective.

Currently in the shack I use this $10 direct box. It also comes in a 2 channel version. Both of these may have a bit better frequency response and isolation, and also are available immediately. But of course they are bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027V760M

However with the USB audio interface to my Note 8 so far there hasn’t been a ground loop problem, so no need for an isolation transformer.

Tks,

73 Ed w2rf