Morse Expert 1.06

Alex VE3NEA

Dec 18, 2020, 1:28:22 AM12/18/20
to Morse Expert for Android
I have released a new version of the program. In this build:
  - improved signal selection, now the decoder jumps to the strongest signal more reliably;
  - the save text command works on all devices. The files are now stored in the folder accessible in all versions of Android:
    ` Android/data/com.ve3nea.morse_expert/files/`

I am asking all testers to install this build and test these two functions, this will take you only a few minutes.

If all works as expected, I will focus on improving word segmentation. The current algorithm is optimized for callsign extraction, it is too aggressive for normal decoding. I have some ideas that I want to try, stay tuned.

73 Alex VE3NEA

ehru...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2020, 7:49:15 AM12/18/20
to Alex VE3NEA, Morse Expert for Android

Hi Alex,

The frequency tracking is much better. It sometimes takes a few seconds, but is on the mark even for relatively weak signals.

On my Note 8 the text is saved, according to the app display, in storage/0/emulated/Android/data/com.ve3nea.morse_expert/files. I’m not that familiar with the Android file structure or finder app but I can’t find this location. The prior location was easy to find.

Look forward to the segmentation experiments.

73, Ed / W2RF

Alex VE3NEA

Dec 18, 2020, 9:06:01 AM12/18/20
to Morse Expert for Android
Thank you for testing the new version, Ed!

I know the old location for the saved files was more convenient, but it turns out that this location is available to the apps only in Android 9 and  below. The testers with Android 10 and 11 were unable to save files, and after some research I discovered that the new [scoped storage](https://www.androidcentral.com/what-scoped-storage) mechanism introduced in Android 10 allows an app to save files only in its own predefined directory, the one that Morse Expert uses now. To save a file in a different place, the app now has to show the File Open dialog and ask the user to choose the file location.

The testers with Android 10 and 11, please let me know if the files are saved fine now.

There is some delay between the start of a new, stronger signal and decoder switch to that signal. Without this delay, the decoder was jumping from one signal to another on every space between the words. However, this delay should not cause problems because after the decoder switches to a new signal, it goes back and decodes some old data on the new frequency. I am still fine-tuning this mechanism to ensure that it looks at the right amount of old data.

I am starting to work on word segmentation. As always with statistical algorithms, preparation of the training data is a big piece of work. The first step is to collect a few thousands of decoded CW conversations and manually correct all decoding errors. Once the data are prepared, I can start looking at its statistics and try different segmentation algorithms.

ehru...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2020, 11:06:29 AM12/18/20
to Alex VE3NEA, Morse Expert for Android

Alex, thanks for the information and I’m looking forward to the next version. Meanwhile on the file storage location perhaps consider checking the OS version number and using the old location for pre 10 versions. When I get a chance I will look harder for where the new location is on my Android but it appears to be well hidden.

Alex VE3NEA

Dec 18, 2020, 1:26:24 PM12/18/20
to Morse Expert for Android
On my phone, the old storage location is here

/storage/emulated/0/MorseExpert

and the new one is here:

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.ve3nea.morse_expert/files

I do not really want to change the file location because the one currently used is what Google wants us to use.

ehru...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2020, 3:30:20 PM12/18/20
to Alex VE3NEA, Morse Expert for Android

I found the files on my Note 8, not as hidden as I thought. And it appears that most apps do store data there. Looks like the right place.