Mother cell dependent contact interaction

anatole...@polytechnique.edu

Mar 30, 2020, 9:08:23 AM3/30/20
to Morpheus users
Hi all,

First thanks for the Morpheus software; I just started playing with it but it does seem full of possibilities...

I am trying to have a contact interaction that depend on particular properties of the two cells interacting. For example, a different interaction if they are sister cells (i.e. born of the same division), how can I achieve that? In particular:

- how can one access the id of the mother in CellDivision? I would want to set a MotherId property for example
- how to do an interaction that depends on properties of the cells in interaction? I saw the [Homo|Hetero]phillicAdhesion but I am not sure if I can use them that way, i.e. a syntax like if(cell1.motherId==cell2.motherId, 100,1) or something...

Hopefully I am making some sense; many thanks for any help.

Anatole

Lutz Brusch

Apr 19, 2020, 6:05:02 PM4/19/20
to Morpheus users
Hi Anatole,

indeed, we're exploring new possibilities with Morpheus each time as well.

Thank you for this interesting use case of Morpheus' NeighborhoodReporter! Attached please find a model that solves your problem and its movie. Use the Property SisterReunion (0 or 1) to control downstream behavior.

Details:
Following your suggestion, each cell keeps track of its mother's cell.id which it learns through a Trigger at CellDivision. In the movie, left panel shows cell.id, right panel MotherId.
The NeighborhoodReporter compares "local.MotherId==MotherId" where "local." accesses the cell's own scope when collecting information from the neighborhood. The test returns a "1" when sisters are in contact, "0" otherwise. This is updated every timestep (can be adjusted in NeighborhoodReporter) and stored in the Property SisterReunion and used to color cells in the right panel of the movie.
A follow-up question may be what happens when multiple cells are in contact of which at most two may be sisters. To control the outcome, you may choose a statistical function in the mapping attribute of the NeighborhoodReporter/Output. The statistical function is then applied to all pairwise results of the NeighborhoodReporter with each neighboring cell. In the attached files, I've used the mapping attribute "maximum" to get enough red color into the movie. If you choose "minimum" and then "1-..." you could flag just those sister reunions that are happening privately. Or you choose scaling="length" and mapping="average" to average over the cell membrane fractions (as opposed to each neighbor having the same weight independent of contact length, which you get with scaling="cell", mapping="average") in contact with neighboring cells (mind the medium).
Hope that is still useful.

Best,
Lutz
SisterReunion.xml
SisterReunionMovie.mp4

Anatole Chessel

Apr 21, 2020, 4:29:26 AM4/21/20
to Lutz Brusch, Morpheus users
Hi Lutz,

Many thanks for the detailed answer and the code, very useful!

I see how it provides a way to check for sister reunions, but I am not sure I see how I can use that to set differential adhesion for those pairs of cell specifically (the second part of my original email).

I see that one could change adhesion to *all* neighbors of cells that are in contact with a sister, or maybe pairs of cell that are both having a sister reunion, even if there are not sisters, which is not quite what I need. Incidentally, I can't seem to be able to use the 'SisterReunion' property in the strength or adhesive field of an HomiphilicAdhesion for example ('Unknown symbol SisterReunion').

I may be missing something obvious...

Thanks again
Anatole

---

Dr Anatole Chessel
Assistant professor of bioimage informatics/ Professeur assistant en bioimagerie computationnelle
Laboratory of Optics and Biosciences/Laboratoire d'Optiques et Biosciences (LOB)
Ecole polytechnique - Institut Polytechnique de Paris
91128 PALAISEAU Cedex
FRANCE

May 8, 2020, 2:14:07 PM5/8/20
to Morpheus users
Hi Anatole,

to add to Jörn's earlier response (copied below): you had mentioned the error message 'Unknown symbol SisterReunion' and this can be reproduced (end of model.xml.out) from the attached working model when commenting out the declaration of adhesive_d in Global (or missing SisterReunion there) as the HomophilicAdhesion Plugin looks for that symbol in all neighboring nodes of a cell. You may put that default into Global or into CellType/Medium.

Jörn's (now extended) model and a movie illustrating dynamic adhesion changes (color-coded for cells) are attached.

PS.
Hi Anatole,
The attached CircleDance.xml model is an artistic example of cell-state-dependent adhesion.

Cells in isolation produce an adhesive molecule which, if sufficiently high, lets the cells attach to each other. The antagonistic process is a delayed degradation of adhesive molecules if cells are actually in contact. The result is an steady attachment, detachment circle.

The adhesive concentration is used in the HomophilicAdhesion Plugin in the cell Contact section, i.e. adhesive molecules are required in both neighboring cells to make them adhesive.

Best,
Jörn

On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 3:08:23 PM UTC+2, anatole...@polytechnique.edu wrote:
CircleDance.xml