Walking Bus

Matie

Nov 14, 2007, 11:08:11 AM11/14/07
to Morgantown Pedestrian Safety Board
http://www.walkingbus.com/
"The walking bus is the latest safe, fun and healthy way to travel to
and from school.
"Each walking bus had an adult 'driver' at the front and and an adult
'conductor' bringing up the rear. The children walk to school in a
group along a set route picking up additional 'passengers' at specific
'bus-stops' along the way."

I think this would be a GREAT program for Morgantown. There must be
at least one route to school that's walkable enough to implement
something like this. You'd get kids walking (maybe only a few, at
first), teach them traffic safety and get parents and schools
interested in improving pedestrian safety and access, eventually
making more routes possible. Plus, the kids would be a giant moving
billboard increasing driver awareness.

tom...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2007, 8:22:45 AM11/28/07
to Morgantown Pedestrian Safety Board
I'm not very familiar with the elementary schools around Morgantown as
far as location and routes, but I'm all for these types of efforts. I
also think it's important to focus on the High School Students at
Morgantown High. I know that many of them drive or are driven
unnecessarily to school from day to day or even take the bus from
locations that are easily walkable distance and infrastructure wise.