snow-covered sidewalks

Rick L

Dec 6, 2007, 7:06:22 AM12/6/07
to Morgantown Pedestrian Safety Board
Good morning, all -

The lack of snow removal on Morgantown sidewalks has always been a
safety problem. I have spoken with the City Manager on numerous
occasions about this, and his response has always been the same.
Despite an ordinance that requires homeowners to clear their
sidewalks, the city does not enforce the ordinance because, according
to Dan Boroff, this would inflict an undue burden on the elderly.
That's right; these are Dan's specific words. My response has been
that it is the elderly who most likely suffer the most from dangerous
sidewalks! And that a lack of snow clearing is not only dangerous for
the elderly (and the rest of us), but encourages people to drive in
dangerous conditions rather than walking (I'm not sure this is a big
issue, but it may be for some). In addition, pedestrians are
essentially forced into the street to walk (particularly on the many
steep streets in town), because the icy surface simply does not allow
one to climb and descend the incline. I'm often forced to use the road
myself, and I'm not easily deterred from climbing a slippery hill.

So, with Dan's opposition to sidewalk clearing, what should our
response, as a group, be? Nothing? Bring it up again and again?
Document it and hope for a response?

In my mind, this issue contributes to the "broken window syndrome" -
where a few otherwise minor oversights (mismanaged trash cans, poorly
painted houses, parking in lawns and on sidewalks) result in a
situation that is dangerous and contributes to the overall decline of
neighborhoods.

Rick Landenberger
55 Manville St.
Morgantown, WV 26501

tom...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2007, 10:09:12 AM12/6/07
to Morgantown Pedestrian Safety Board
I was thinking about safety on the slick sidewalks this morning too.
My wife and I have both fallen since yesterday. We should discuss
this at the next meeting!

-Tom