Long Distance throws

mith...@yahoo.com

Jan 24, 2012, 1:25:58 AM1/24/12
to Nick Kitinski
Just a little FYI. At the MoPac Regional Play Downs in SLC, we held a competition to see who could throw a curling stone the farthest. The Olympic Oval allowed us the use of the 400 meter speed skating track. We had 565 feet of straight ice to throw on.

The winners were:

Mens
1  Jeff Bassett  536'
2 Charles Taggart 523'
3 Eric DeVreeze  516'
Womens
1 Francesca Somme  427'
2 Glenda Carr  315'
3  Cindy Wood  296'

The shooting style gradually evolved from a traditional curling shot with strong leg drive,....to less traditional shot with a shove at the end,.......to the winning form of belly-flopping on the ice after shoving it with both hands on stone and both feet in the hack.

It was a lot of fun and a once in a lifetime chance for many of us.

Tim Irish
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile