29 members on the MoPac Curling Forum and counting.....

1 view

Nick-K

Dec 5, 2009, 2:05:13 AM12/5/09
to MoPac Curling
We got 29 curlers signed up so far from 489 potential in our region.
Despite announcing it to each and every club's board members, it seems
like there is very little interest or the information does not get
passed on to their members.

I want all 29 members to take a moment and invite your fellow club
members to join us. Let us make an effort and see what difference it
makes in a week, Today is 12/04/2009.

It was also interesting to find out that many clubs couldn't answer
simple questions about their own club activities or data. The STATS
page I assembled in the PAGES section took me almost a week to
assemble after many phonecalls and e-mails. And after all that work,
the numbers are not 100% accurate, only an estimation.

This is a problem, and if we don't make an effort to fix this, and it
will lead to further poor management and communication in our fast
growing region. The Winter Olympics are just around the corner and I
don't think that many of our region clubs are ready to tackle this.

What do you think?

Craig Webster

Dec 5, 2009, 11:12:51 AM12/5/09
to MoPac Curling
I am not at all surprised at these numbers. Most of our members are
interested in curling once in a while and want nothing to do with
anything else. I am not sure what kind of numbers you expected, but
if you end up getting more than 40 out of 489 I will have been
shocked - happy, but shocked.

Craig...

tim irish

Dec 5, 2009, 11:22:13 AM12/5/09
to mopacc...@googlegroups.com
Nick I sent out a newsletter to all of the dues paying members in our club. I also sent it to about 50 additional people from our club list and from other clubs in Utah. I am attaching it here so you can read it. I sent it out seeking opinions and input as to where we as a club want to go. I have received six replies in all. Like Craig Webster said, most people want to curl when they are able and dont really care about the details of running a club and organizing events, so I would say 5 % response is about the best we will get. I will keep doing my part though. Tim

--- On Sat, 12/5/09, Nick-K <len...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Curling newsletter.doc

Nick-K

Dec 6, 2009, 2:49:54 AM12/6/09
to MoPac Curling
.

Nick-K

Dec 6, 2009, 3:22:06 AM12/6/09
to MoPac Curling
Craig,

You are with Curl San Diego, right?

We all share the same problem with lack of interest from our members.
But there is no unity amongst our clubs in the MoPac region.
How much do you know about other curling Clubs in our region?
How often do you contact other Clubs?
For me it was vital to establish contact with other Clubs in our
region due to forming a brand new Club.
For example, starting our Fall league this season didn't look good due
to the economy.
We wanted to rent more ice time to expand another session.
Got in touch with a few other clubs and asked how their numbers looked
like.
Most Clubs were down in Numbers, but we gained a bit and and did
expand.
I'd be interested now to see what other clubs have planned for the
Olympics....
I think if we can engage our members to participate a bit more, it
will be a gain for us all.
I don't expect everyone to be active in this group, but people do read
our stuff.
Also, when you need to share info, this could be an easy way
to get in touch with our regional members. Members should not have to
rely on their board reps
for their info, since many times it does not get passed on, and that
is sad!

Nick
Hollywood

Nick-K

Dec 6, 2009, 3:31:02 AM12/6/09
to MoPac Curling
I know exactly what you mean Tim.
Next time you meet your curlers, ask them personally the same question
you sent out and you will get surprised on how many pepople will have
an opinion.
With group e-mails, it is easy to escape from since there is no
pressure. Or, try to send the same question to each individual and
personalize it, like you are asking them directly and I'm sure you
will get a better response

Nick
Hollywood
>  Curling newsletter.doc
> 44KViewDownload

Craig Webster

Dec 6, 2009, 2:40:39 PM12/6/09
to mopacc...@googlegroups.com
Nick, close but not quite. I am north of you, instead of south. I am
a past (and possibly future) board member of the Evergreen club in Portland.

Craig...