Why don't we create a Mootools IDE

Ren Yushiro

Jan 20, 2010, 10:31:44 AM1/20/10
to MooTools Users
I'm sure that with the help of an IDE, we'll be able to code a lot
faster, especially in big project (mine has more than 100 classes
already). I've searched for an IDE that help but couldn't. Aptana said
it supported mootools but it didn't understand mootools' great OOP.
I've tried Spket and gave them a lot of feature requests but it seems
like they like Ext.JS more.

So... Why doesn't the mootools community create one IDE that helps
showing the world how great mootools' OOP is? I've tried to use
Eclipse DLTK to build one but failed because my base is PHP & MySQL.
Anyone here with great skills in Java that will help us all?? :)

Roman Land

Jan 20, 2010, 10:34:39 AM1/20/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Vote +1
--
---
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Ryan Florence

Jan 20, 2010, 10:36:30 AM1/20/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
What kind of features are you looking for?

I find TextMate to be customizable enough.

Roman Land

Jan 20, 2010, 10:42:12 AM1/20/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
I use Netbeans, the colors are good (and customizable), got my own dark theme so let me know if your interested.. :)

BTW, TextMate is MAC only, other then developing for the iPhone (no other choice really) I dont like dealing with OSX, thanks to Steve Jobs and the Apple customer base (too much blind following for me!).
I do not mean to inflame, so other then real non biased / inflammatory comments about the latter carry on..! ;)

Oskar Krawczyk

Jan 20, 2010, 11:50:45 AM1/20/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
On a related note – is anyone aware of someone doing work in the MooTools-lint direction?

___

Oskar Krawczyk
http://nouincolor.com

Barry van Oudtshoorn

Jan 20, 2010, 7:56:08 PM1/20/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
I use Geany with a dark Tango theme I put together (http://www.barryvan.com.au/2009/01/geany-ide-tango-dark-colour-scheme/). It works well enough, but the symbol browser doesn't understand Moo classes. It handles object literals and function()-style objects well enough, though. The main reason I prefer it over Netbeans, Aptana, etc. is that it's incredibly light -- it loads in under a second, and has exactly the features I want. Also it's completely cross-platform (Linux, Windows, OS-X), so I can use the same IDE everywhere. :)

One day, when I've got the time, I'd like to hack at the symbol browser to make it work correctly.
--
Not sent from my iPhone.

Ryan Rampersad

Jan 20, 2010, 8:41:41 PM1/20/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Aptana uses an outdated version of Mootools and you can't force it to use auto-completion and a newer version. I think this is because mootools doesn't by default have a java-doc like structure for the IDE to pull from.

I'd totally love some IDE.
--
Ryan Rampersad
www.ifupdown.com

ken

Jan 21, 2010, 12:04:26 AM1/21/10
to MooTools Users
My wish for a Mootooled IDE is runtime Object property introspection
just like Chrome's js console with autocompletion.

On Jan 21, 9:41 am, Ryan Rampersad <ryan.ramper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aptana uses an outdated version of Mootools and you can't force it to use
> auto-completion and a newer version. I think this is because mootools
> doesn't by default have a java-doc like structure for the IDE to pull from.
>
> I'd totally love some IDE.
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Barry van Oudtshoorn <
>

> bvanoudtsho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I use Geany with a dark Tango theme I put together (
> >http://www.barryvan.com.au/2009/01/geany-ide-tango-dark-colour-scheme/).
> > It works well enough, but the symbol browser doesn't understand Moo classes.
> > It handles object literals and function()-style objects well enough, though.
> > The main reason I prefer it over Netbeans, Aptana, etc. is that it's
> > incredibly light -- it loads in under a second, and has exactly the features
> > I want. Also it's completely cross-platform (Linux, Windows, OS-X), so I can
> > use the same IDE everywhere. :)
>
> > One day, when I've got the time, I'd like to hack at the symbol browser to
> > make it work correctly.
>
> > On 20/01/10 23:36, Ryan Florence wrote:
>
> > What kind of features are you looking for?
>
> >  I find TextMate to be customizable enough.
>
> >  On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Roman Land wrote:
>
> >  Vote +1

Ren Yushiro

Jan 21, 2010, 3:22:50 AM1/21/10
to MooTools Users
/**
* @class shape
*/
var shape = new Class({
getName : function() {
}
});

/**
* @class polygon
* @extends shape
*/
var polygon = new Class({
Extends : shape,
getWidth : function() {
},

getHeight : function() {
}
});

/**
* @type polygon
*/
var myPol = new polygon();

/**
* @type shape
*/
var someShape = new shape();

I need something that can help me know what functions inside the
variable myPol. For example, when I type myPol. the IDE will show a
dropdown with 3 options: getWidth, getHeight, getName

fakedarren

Jan 21, 2010, 7:53:35 AM1/21/10
to MooTools Users
With regards to Aptana support - we were approached by their team and
asked to provide the necessary files to get autocompletion etc for
MooTools. Long story short, it's a very long and arduous task, and I
am waiting until MooTools 1.3 is out (which is not that far away) and
once that is done or close it is worth me spending the time doing.
Unfortunately it's not high enough priority for me to spend time on at
the moment.

Cheers
Darren

Trevor Orr

Jan 21, 2010, 10:55:23 AM1/21/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
So then sometime in the near future Aptana will have auto completion and object property introspection for mootools?

Pete Duncanson

Jan 21, 2010, 2:24:28 PM1/21/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
This is way old now but still shows whats possible but with in Visual Studio:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/04/24/javascript-intellisense-in-visual-studio-orcas.aspx

Seems you can comment up your JS just as you would for .net apps. "Might" be possible to create a patch doc file from the existing docs just for VS?

fakedarren

Jan 21, 2010, 5:59:19 PM1/21/10
to MooTools Users
@Trevor Orr: Yes, I will get round to it soon enough, promise.

@Pete Duncanson: I have already written Intellisense for Visual Studio
for use with MooTools: http://code.google.com/p/mootoolsintellisense/.

On Jan 21, 7:24 pm, Pete Duncanson <pete.duncan...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> This is way old now but still shows whats possible but with in Visual
> Studio:
>

> http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/04/24/javascript-intellis...

> Seems you can comment up your JS just as you would for .net apps. "Might" be
> possible to create a patch doc file from the existing docs just for VS?
>

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Trevor Orr <fract...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So then sometime in the near future Aptana will have auto completion and
> > object property introspection for mootools?

Pete Duncanson

Jan 22, 2010, 7:16:08 AM1/22/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
@Pete Duncanson: I have already written Intellisense for Visual Studio
for use with MooTools: http://code.google.com/p/mootoolsintellisense/.

Awesome, I'll get it downloaded and installed and give it a whirl :)

Thomas Aylott

Jan 24, 2010, 10:24:57 AM1/24/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
This has been around since 2008. http://subtlegradient.com/articles/2008/09/21/new_textmate_code_completion_and_smart_tooltips.html

http://github.com/subtleGradient/javascript.tmbundle

I also have a MooTools bundle but I haven’t updated it in a while.
Too busy working on MooTools itself ;)

— Thomas Aylott
SubtleGradient
MooTools

Barry van Oudtshoorn

Jan 26, 2010, 11:16:49 PM1/26/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
I've been doing some browsing, and came across KomodoEdit (http://www.activestate.com/komodo_edit/). There's a "MooTools API catalog" plugin that provides popup details on most Moo functions (for example, typing "$each(" pops up "iterable, fn, binds", appropriately highlighted). It also does background checking of validity.

Doesn't do classes properly, though. :(

Ren Yushiro

Jan 27, 2010, 3:45:15 AM1/27/10
to MooTools Users
I've tried everything we mentioned here but nothing really helps with
Mootools' OOP...
No IDE or editor + plugin can understand what a Mootools class is.
I can learn by heart all of the Mootools core function (there arent
too many anyway) but cant remember all the properties and functions in
one class I wrote... That's why I (and we) need a Mootools OOP
supported IDE.

Roman Land

Jan 31, 2010, 6:26:54 PM1/31/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I found out that IDEs that use the newer JSDoc-toolkit (vs old JSDoc) allow you to actually map functions to classes, these are processed and allow autocompletion (read how here)
http://code.google.com/p/jsdoc-toolkit/wiki/TagLends

I found out that only Aptana studio / Zend studio support this right now, I personally use the Netbeans IDE so I was not able to test this to verify, although this looks promising (worked for some guy for the Prototype-JS framework..)

Cheers
Roman

Ren Yushiro

Feb 11, 2010, 5:18:56 AM2/11/10
to MooTools Users
The @lends tag looks promising. But Aptana doesn't support this tag.
It seems like Aptana used something like ScriptDoc, not JSDoc Toolkit.
I will try Zend Studio later zz

Ren Yushiro

Apr 9, 2010, 11:46:42 AM4/9/10
to MooTools Users
http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

Hi all! This IDE is supporting the @lends tag and looks quite good :D

chone

Apr 9, 2010, 12:52:57 PM4/9/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
aptana is a good choose,but i just like vim

330.gif

orefalo

Apr 9, 2010, 3:40:09 PM4/9/10
to MooTools Users
I personally use plain eclipse with this plugin

http://www.spket.com/javascript-editor.html

It does coloring, formatting, marks occurrences, finds syntax errors
(not all of them!). Code completion kind of work once you tell the
plugin to use mootools.js as a 3rd party lib.

Overall I can live with it, better than any of the other alternatives
posted earlier in this thread and only cost a few $.

Cheers,
Olivier Refalo

Barry van Oudtshoorn

Apr 9, 2010, 7:12:47 PM4/9/10
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Komodo Edit's good, too -- it's based on Mozilla's XUL platform, and
gives you MooTools autocompletion/intellisense (via addon); JS, CSS,
XML, HTML, Java, etc. syntax checking on the fly; and all the standard
editor-cum-pseudo IDE features that are considered standard. It'll
also give you autocompletion for projects. Plus it's free. :)

- barry

> --

http://barryvan.com.au/
bvanoud...@gmail.com