UI appears "incomplete"; no recordings listed

Jack Challen

Jul 17, 2020, 1:01:04 PM7/17/20
to moonfire-nvr-users
Using the current (959defe) git checkout, I followed the installation procedure on an Nvidia Jetson (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS-based) and it pretty much worked as expected [thanks]. I think I might have some suggestions about the documentation/installation procedure but I should make sure I'm getting results I expect before I make noise based on an incorrect assumption.

Once the install procedure is run from scripts/install.sh, it creates the systemd unit control file which includes the argument "--ui-dir=${LIB_DIR}/ui". When I launched moonfire via systemd I got the error:

moonfire-nvr[31963]: error: Found argument '--ui-dir' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

So, I stripped this line out from the systemd unit, and it started. Based on the fact that I've got large-ish files in my "sample"[1] directory being created, I think it's collecting and saving video from my 2 cameras - the (main/sub} streams were detected with the correct resolutions as well, but according to their file magic it's just "data", not a recognised video file format.

What seems to have gone wrong is there are no recordings or playable items listed under either camera, under either stream.
The left-hand side of the WebUI shows two calendars for from/to, but the days aren't clickable - the UI elements look like they've been deactivated. I could provide a screenshot, but

Am I right in assuming I should see a list of clickable streams? Is there a part of the UI missing?

I'm happy to go digging, but this feels a bit more like a mismatch between the install script and the rest of the code.

thanks

Scott Lamb

Jul 17, 2020, 11:25:15 PM7/17/20
to Jack Challen, moonfire-nvr-users
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Jack Challen <jackc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Using the current (959defe) git checkout, I followed the installation procedure on an Nvidia Jetson (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS-based) and it pretty much worked as expected [thanks]. I think I might have some suggestions about the documentation/installation procedure but I should make sure I'm getting results I expect before I make noise based on an incorrect assumption.

Once the install procedure is run from scripts/install.sh, it creates the systemd unit control file which includes the argument "--ui-dir=${LIB_DIR}/ui". When I launched moonfire via systemd I got the error:

moonfire-nvr[31963]: error: Found argument '--ui-dir' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

Oops! This broke when I switched argument parsing libraries. I didn't notice because I just use the default. Fixed.

So, I stripped this line out from the systemd unit, and it started. Based on the fact that I've got large-ish files in my "sample"[1] directory being created, I think it's collecting and saving video from my 2 cameras - the (main/sub} streams were detected with the correct resolutions as well, but according to their file magic it's just "data", not a recognised video file format.

Sounds normal. These aren't complete .mp4 files (just the actual frames), so I wouldn't expect file to recognize them.

Have you looked in the server logs? Besides a lack of errors, you should see regular database flushes like the one below:

Jul 17 19:27:21 nuc moonfire-nvr[11309]: sync-/media/8tb/sample moonfire_db::db] Flush 4789 (why: 120 sec after start of 1 minute driveway-main recording 5/1447127):
Jul 17 19:27:21 nuc moonfire-nvr[11309]: /media/6tb/sample: added 123M 216K 567B in 9 recordings (4/1504496, 4/1504497, 7/1167470, 6/1517861, 1/1502007, 2/1516026, 12/1180858, 8/1178922, 10/1170325), deleted 119M 85K 430B in 10 (4/1464649, 7/1033072, 6/1464025, 6/1464026, 6/1464027, 1/1463622, 2/1479476, 12/1087879, 8/1005726, 8/1005727), GCed 20 recordings (6/1464022, 2/1479474, 6/1464019, 8/1005725, 6/1464024, 1/1463620, 2/1479475, 8/1005723, 8/1005724, 12/1087878, 6/1464023, 1/1463621, 10/1030338, 7/1033071, 8/1005721, 7/1033070, 4/1464648, 6/1464021, 8/1005722, 6/1464020).
Jul 17 19:27:21 nuc moonfire-nvr[11309]: /media/8tb/sample: added 166M 919K 166B in 5 recordings (5/1447127, 5/1447128, 3/1506266, 9/1169451, 11/1180797), deleted 143M 385K 305B in 4 (5/1393033, 5/1393034, 9/1009605, 11/1083660), GCed 5 recordings (5/1393032, 9/1009603, 9/1009604, 11/1083658, 11/1083659).

What seems to have gone wrong is there are no recordings or playable items listed under either camera, under either stream.
The left-hand side of the WebUI shows two calendars for from/to, but the days aren't clickable - the UI elements look like they've been deactivated. I could provide a screenshot, but

Am I right in assuming I should see a list of clickable streams? Is there a part of the UI missing?

Yes, there should be a "Streams" section in the upper left, right above the calendar widgets. It should have a table with a row for every camera and columns for "main" and "sub". As in the screenshot below:

image.png

If the calendar widgets showed up correctly, it must be loading the UI files. (At least some of them?) So I don't think what you're seeing is related to the --ui-dir thing. Do you see any errors on your browser's Javascript console?

I'm happy to go digging, but this feels a bit more like a mismatch between the install script and the rest of the code.

thanks

Jack Challen

Jul 18, 2020, 4:14:04 AM7/18/20
to moonfire-nvr-users

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 4:25:15 AM UTC+1, Scott Lamb wrote:
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Jack Challen <jackc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Once the install procedure is run from scripts/install.sh, it creates the systemd unit control file which includes the argument "--ui-dir=${LIB_DIR}/ui". When I launched moonfire via systemd I got the error:

moonfire-nvr[31963]: error: Found argument '--ui-dir' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

Oops! This broke when I switched argument parsing libraries. I didn't notice because I just use the default. Fixed.

Yep, that's fixed the ui-dir argument, and now moonfire shows me a list of recordings as expected. (I already had the per-camera streams checkboxes, which showed/hid the camera/stream name table header, but previously there were no recording entries in that table, despite recordings being made).

I.e. it's now working as I would expect, with no other (known) changes being made. Thanks very much! I'll go back through the installation docs and see if my earlier confusion regarding the cameras' "sample" directory is cleared up upon re-reading.

Scott Lamb

Jul 18, 2020, 4:31:22 AM7/18/20
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 1:14 AM Jack Challen <jackc...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 4:25:15 AM UTC+1, Scott Lamb wrote:
On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Jack Challen <jackc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Once the install procedure is run from scripts/install.sh, it creates the systemd unit control file which includes the argument "--ui-dir=${LIB_DIR}/ui". When I launched moonfire via systemd I got the error:

moonfire-nvr[31963]: error: Found argument '--ui-dir' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

Oops! This broke when I switched argument parsing libraries. I didn't notice because I just use the default. Fixed.

Yep, that's fixed the ui-dir argument, and now moonfire shows me a list of recordings as expected. (I already had the per-camera streams checkboxes, which showed/hid the camera/stream name table header, but previously there were no recording entries in that table, despite recordings being made).

Oh, is it possible that no recordings had been flushed to the database yet when you saw this problem? See #57.

I.e. it's now working as I would expect, with no other (known) changes being made. Thanks very much! I'll go back through the installation docs and see if my earlier confusion regarding the cameras' "sample" directory is cleared up upon re-reading.

Scott Lamb

Jul 18, 2020, 3:16:26 PM7/18/20
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 1:31 AM Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org> wrote:

[...]

I just fixed this issue. It'd stayed open for a very long time because I plan to eventually fix it in a different way, but the quick fix was easy enough and avoids this sort of poor initial experience.

I.e. it's now working as I would expect, with no other (known) changes being made. Thanks very much! I'll go back through the installation docs and see if my earlier confusion regarding the cameras' "sample" directory is cleared up upon re-reading.

Jack Challen

Jul 19, 2020, 2:41:39 AM7/19/20
to moonfire-nvr-users
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:16:26 PM UTC+1, Scott Lamb wrote:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 1:31 AM Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org> wrote:
Oh, is it possible that no recordings had been flushed to the database yet when you saw this problem? See #57.

I just fixed this issue. It'd stayed open for a very long time because I plan to eventually fix it in a different way, but the quick fix was easy enough and avoids this sort of poor initial experience.

Thanks Scott. FWIW I'm pretty sure that recordings would've been flushed when I saw the (apparent) UI issue. I'd stopped and started moonfire a few times and can see things like this in the logs from before I reported the issue:

[main moonfire_db::db] Loaded 11 recordings for camera Utility stream SUB
/media/nvr/sample: added 85M 146K 994B in 3 recordings (4/13, 1/13, 3/13), deleted 0B in 0 (), GCed 0 recordings ().
sync-/media/nvr/sample moonfire_db::db] Flush 3 (why: 120 sec after start of 1 minute 55 seconds Utility-sub recording 2/12):

Either way, at this point, it's definitely fixed. Thanks. :)

Scott Lamb

Jul 19, 2020, 6:49:33 PM7/19/20
to Jack Challen, moonfire-nvr-users
Hmm, yeah, that's not it then. I think it must have been some error at the UI layer. If you see it again, please look in your browser's Javascript console. As I just mentioned in the other thread, the UI is a lot less complete than the backend. There's basically no error handling.

Either way, at this point, it's definitely fixed. Thanks. :)