9-week Intensive Dev Bootcamp in Montreal

Mathieu Baril

Mar 7, 2013, 1:03:49 PM3/7/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We're working on creating an intensive 9 week programming course, also known as a Dev Bootcamp, here in Montreal. We're currently in the process of getting Montreal IT companies to support and buy in the program and we've had some great successes so far.

But we'd like to hear from you to have a feel as to whether you guys think there would be an interest in the Montreal community for such a program.

The idea is simple: learn the basics of ruby on rails in 9 intensive (crazy) weeks (40+ hours/week) and become a junior web developper in the process. No need to have any prior programming experience. Only the most entrepreneur, dynamic and mature individuals would be selected. From talking to businesses, it looks like $60k would be around what companies would offer students who completed such a training as a starting salary.

We're curious to hear your feedback, your ideas and whether you believe the IT community in Montreal would have an interest and be receptive to such a project.

Or send me an email at matt....@gmail.com if you'd like to pm me, be involved in any way or participate to this project.

Thanks guys!

Matt

Sylvain Carle

Mar 7, 2013, 1:41:45 PM3/7/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Est-ce que �a sera similaire �
https://generalassemb.ly/education/learn-ruby-on-rails?

Vous pourriez aussi l'offrir de soir et de fin de semaine, pour ceux qui
ont d�j� une job de jour avec un language de programmation poche ;-)

C'est une excellente id�e, je peux vous aider avec la maison Notman pour
les salles et la logistique.

> Mathieu Baril <mailto:baril....@gmail.com>
> March 7, 2013 10:03 AM

Jesse Farmer

Mar 7, 2013, 3:15:16 PM3/7/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I hope I'm not overreaching here and apologize if I am.  I'm Jesse, one of the co-founders of Dev Bootcamp (http://devbootcamp.com).

We're excited to see the idea we pioneered last year spread around the world, but I just wanted to clear up a few things.

First, Mathieu's program is in no way affiliated with us.  In the spirit of cooperation I'd love for him not to use our name ("Dev Bootcamp"), but there's not much I can do from California.

Second, there are some other great programs in Canada that Dev Bootcamp does work closely with (collaborating on curriculum, pedagogy, etc.) like Bitmaker Labs (http://bitmakerlabs.com/) in Toronto.

As someone who grew up in Northern Michigan I know it's never wise to pit Québécois(es) against Ontarians, so I'm not looking to start that fight.

Third, our lead engineer, Keith Tom, is from Montreal and we'd love to help the community any way we can.  Feel free to reply to this thread or email me at je...@devbootcamp.com to let us know how.

We'd just rather not have someone using our name in the meantime. :)

Cheers,
Jesse

P.S., for the curious, here are what some of our former students are up to (including a few Canadians): http://qr.ae/TYsVV

Ata Mourad

Mar 7, 2013, 5:14:32 PM3/7/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea. I would send Sequence Factory's employees (especially new ones) to attend this intensive course. How much do you evaluate the cost of attending this training?

Ata

Mathieu Baril

Mar 7, 2013, 10:25:52 PM3/7/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Bonjour Sylvain,

Je ne connaissais pas General Assembly spécifiquement, mais de ce que je comprends de leur site web, ils n'offrent que des cours de soirs. Nos cours seront à temps plein du lundi au vendredi entre 8h et 17h. Notre but est de former en 9 semaines des gens pratiques capables de réaliser des projets relativement complexes avec Ruby on Rails.

Bien que nous n'excluons pas la possibilité d'avoir des cours de soir et de fins de semaine éventuellement afin d'accommoder les gens avec des emplois ou un horaire chargé, je ne crois pas que la même qualité de formation pourrait être offerte et par conséquent il faudrait revoir les objectifs d'un tel cours. L'immersion complète dans le programme est un aspect important de la formation présentement.

Je te remercie pour ton offre d'aide à la maison Notman, je garde tes coordonnées!

Bonne soirée,

Mathieu

On Thursday, 7 March 2013 13:41:45 UTC-5, Sylvain Carle wrote:
Est-ce que �a sera similaire �
https://generalassemb.ly/education/learn-ruby-on-rails?

Vous pourriez aussi l'offrir de soir et de fin de semaine, pour ceux qui
ont d�j� une job de jour avec un language de programmation poche ;-)

C'est une excellente id�e, je peux vous aider avec la maison Notman pour

Mathieu Baril

Mar 7, 2013, 10:38:36 PM3/7/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick update on this matter. Jesse reached out to me earlier today and I wanted to apologize for using their name. There was no ill intention behind this, but just to make things clear we are not affiliated or connected to Dev Bootcamp in any way. My apologies if anyone felt misled.

Mathieu Baril

Mar 7, 2013, 11:20:48 PM3/7/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atallah,

We'd love to help Sequence Factory's employees and contribute to your success. The price has not been set yet as we're still putting everything together, but we're planning to make it as accessible as possible. If you're available, we'd love to talk to you over a coffee maybe (?) to understand your particular needs at Sequence Factory!

Ata Mourad

Mar 8, 2013, 9:21:13 AM3/8/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Sure. Let me know when.

Mathieu Baril

Mar 8, 2013, 7:10:19 PM3/8/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing! I don't think I have access to your email address here, would you mind sending me a quick email at matt....@gmail.com?

Mathieu Baril

Mar 8, 2013, 7:48:55 PM3/8/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
We've had quite a bit of emails following my original post here and thought we'd create a mailing list to keep those of you who are interested in the loop.

Have a great weekend guys.

Matt

Daniel Haran

Mar 9, 2013, 11:50:29 PM3/9/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm going to be public about these suggestions because the overall issue is one we should be tackling publicly in our community.

I challenge everyone in this group to think of people that could benefit from this kind of program, and to specifically think of women's names. Since so many of us are men, when we think of people that could be candidates, we naturally think of other men. That doesn't mean you're a horrible, sexist person; it's just the way our brains work.

For Matthieu and the organizers: when advertising, recruiting and selecting candidates, please keep track of gender diversity. If there aren't many women, please assume this says less about what women want than the quality of the channels and filters you've tried so far. Treat it like an optimization problem.

Montreal Girl Geeks is one obvious group that could probably help with the advertising and recruiting; they probably know others.

I'm happy seeing our community grow. Good luck!

Daniel.

Maxime Camirand

Mar 12, 2013, 6:51:57 PM3/12/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mathieu,

When would you be planning to start the first cohort?

Regards,
Maxime

Mathieu Baril

Mar 13, 2013, 11:07:20 PM3/13/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maxime,

We're planning to have the first cohort begin the 3rd week of June. The cohort should count between 20 and 22 students.

Just out of curiosity, were you looking at a specific time frame?

Thanks,

Matt

Maxime Camirand

Mar 14, 2013, 12:41:45 PM3/14/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mathieu,

Not looking at any specific time. Just curious. Curious about price, too. Any numbers you can share (even approximate)?

Regards,
Maxime

Mathieu Baril

Mar 30, 2013, 4:12:48 PM3/30/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maxime,

We finally launched our website today and applications are also open for the Summer Cohort beginning on June 17th. You can visit http://www.hardcoderlabs.com/ for more info about the program, price, dates, etc.

Hope this answers your questions, but feel free to let me know if you have any other questions :)

Cheers,

Matt

Mathieu Baril

Apr 4, 2013, 11:45:28 AM4/4/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Join Us for Pizza & Networking!

Hey guys!

We will be holding a Pizza Dinner Information Session at the Notman House next Tuesday at 6pm. This is meant to be a casual event where we can all meet, eat and discuss. There will be a 15 minute presentation of HardCoder Labs Bootcamps followed by a Q&A. After that we invite you to socialize and network with other like-minded people who are also looking to become web developers. :)

When: Tuesday April 9th
Time: From 6pm to 7pm
Location: Notman House, 51 Sherbrooke West, Montreal
Price: Free

We kindly ask you to register so we have enough pizza for everybody. You can register and find more information at:

We are looking forward to seeing you and bring your friends!

Cheers,

Kristin Matte

Oct 29, 2013, 12:35:13 PM10/29/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

Just dropping a note to say I'm very very interested in this.

I'm a graphic designer looking for coding and web knowledge.

I'm going to check out your website, and everything mentioned in the thread, but before that I wanted to throw my hat in the ring.

Regarding Daniel's comments of gender disparity in the field - I appreciate the comment.

I'm very excited about this!

Kristin.

Kristin Matte

Oct 29, 2013, 12:43:44 PM10/29/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring in regards to interest.

I'm going to check out all the links mentioned in the thread.

As for Daniel's comment, I appreciate the acknowledgement of the gender disparity in the business.

I think marketing this will really depend on the nature of the course. If it's 100% catered to newbies and folks with little to no programming knowledge, targeting the domains that work in and around web programming would be ideal.

I myself am a graphic designer. I'm currently looking for work, and 80% of interesting job postings involve quite a bit of web requirements.

I'm excited about this!

Kristin.