Office Hours

Maxime Camirand

Feb 28, 2013, 9:34:42 AM2/28/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

The experimental phase of Montreal.rb Office Hours is now officially over. It's time to decide whether to continue the event, and whether to make changes to the schedule and format. As de-facto organizer, I'd really appreciate your feedback on some or all of the following points (or anything else on which you'd like to comment):

- Attendance: How many people have been going while I've been away?

- Schedule: Wednesdays alternating between mornings and evenings. How is that working out for you guys?

- Format: Do you find Office Hours to be a productive experience as it is, or do we need some guidelines for participants?

- Continuance: Should I continue to book timeslots for Office Hours?

Regards,
Max

Mathieu Martin

Feb 28, 2013, 9:43:18 AM2/28/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
My 2¢ as someone who hasn't been able to go yet.

Mornings simply don't work for me, so I'll probably never come in the morning.

So that leaves evenings. And I usually try to go to max 1 event per week (I'm a parent). I'll try to come on weeks where there's no Mtl.rb or MtlNewTech.

Mat

--

I'm web and mobile consultant, founder of RockSolidRails.

My main field of expertise is Ruby on Rails and everything web, including mobile web solutions. I can also help you with devops/sysadmin & security. Let me know if you need a great software artist.

Follow me on twitter @webmat, get in touch on LinkedIn, or check out my blog at programblings.com.

If you're a tech person, the following may make sense to you.

I'm the author of git_remote_branch. A tool that's been helping common mortals like me share git branches for 5 years. Downloaded 45 000 times.

I've also contributed to some of the popular libraries in the Rails, jQuery and PhoneGap ecosystems:

paperclip, active_admin, jquery-ujs, jquery-rails, kaminari, AssetSync, phonegap-plugin-facebook-connect, shoulda, woulda, jeweler.

If you visit them on GitHub, you'll see my face in the "Contributors" section :-)

Richard McGain

Feb 28, 2013, 9:48:49 AM2/28/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I attended once, on a wednesday morning and I plan to again. I think the alternating times work because I am only interested in mornings. My only negative feedback is that it was freezing there (although you can take that with a grain of salt because I am foreign  and not used to cold in general).

Richard

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Maxime Camirand <maxca...@gmail.com> wrote:

Christian Roy

Feb 28, 2013, 10:56:09 AM2/28/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I like the fact that it's day; evening; day; evening.
I will not likely go in the evening. Once every 2 weeks for me is
ideal. Once a week would be too much for me anyway.
I do want to go again when car, weather, traffic allow it.

I'd be sad if this event does not live on.

my 2 cents (my nickel I guess since the penny is retired).

Christian Roy

Feb 28, 2013, 10:57:06 AM2/28/13
Richard McGain said the following on 28/02/2013 9:48 AM:

 My only negative feedback is that it was freezing there (although you can take that with a grain of salt because I am foreign  and not used to cold in general).

It was deadly cold!  I agree!

Martin Provencher

Feb 28, 2013, 11:45:46 PM2/28/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I sadly weren't able to put it in my schedule since it was started but I really like the idea and I would like to go.

For the morning/evening, you should create a standard schedule. First and third Wednesday is the morning and Second and fourth are in the evening. On the fifth one (shit happens), you do a full day or something crazy.

When the Notman House reparation will be over, I think it will be a lot easier to work in the Office Hours. It will be hotter in winter and cooler in summer.

Thanks for organizing it, it is a cool idea.

Martin

Martin Provencher
Ruby/Rails developer
www.vivrass.com
514-882-6640

Jonathan

Mar 1, 2013, 11:30:10 AM3/1/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hey Max,

I have been there 3 time. I think its a great idea and I have found it a great value to me. I am happy to say that while I am a new programmer, I have been able to both get value and give value. Evenings are better for me but alternating is fine.  I don't think I will be able to go every week so whether it is every week or every two weeks, I hope Office Hours continue. It has been great to meet you and the others who have shown up and I look forward to meeting more of you in the future.

Jonathan

Gary Haran

Mar 1, 2013, 11:33:09 AM3/1/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
To be honest I only went once... and I didn't even know it was held on that day.  I just happened to want to use Notman on that day.

It's a really cool idea and I can see the value in it but with family and work I find it hard to schedule a full day or evening devoted to it on top of all my other activities.

I personally would prefer to answer programming questions on a mailing list.

Gary Haran
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Maxime Camirand

Mar 1, 2013, 10:47:38 PM3/1/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm glad people are enjoying the events and getting something out of them. I hope they'll keep growing. I'll stand up to put in a word at the next Montreal.rb Meetup. At Jonathan's suggestion, I got the event included in the StartupDigest emails, too. Martin also helps me to publicize via the Montreal.rb Twitter feed.

Schedule for March:
March 6th: 9am
March 13th: 6pm
March 20th: 9am
March 27th: 6pm

Martin: I hadn't thought of doing that first-week, second-week, etc kind of schedule. What are the advantages?

Regards,
Max

Alexandre Croteau-Pothier

Mar 3, 2013, 11:59:23 AM3/3/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I've been a few times and I like it, I think it's a great way to share knowledge.

I like the idea of having a consistent schedule.

I also think we could setup a small website where we could see the schedule, who is planning to come and other information, we could work on it during the office hours.

Andy Maleh

Mar 6, 2013, 10:40:35 PM3/6/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I really liked coming on mornings when I had a chance. I could get work done and still be able to pair-program with someone even if briefly on something. It was good for networking and brainstorming too for sure.

It sounds good to have the alternation. Hopefully, my Wednesday evenings will free up soon.

Please continue to book (assuming there is enough interest). I did not get a chance to pair-program with everybody yet. :)

Regards,

Andy

Maxime Camirand

Mar 8, 2013, 10:25:10 AM3/8/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

As I mentioned before, April's Office Hours have all been scheduled and added to the Notman House Google calendar. This Wednesday, I attended the event for the first time since I got back from my trip, and realised something unfortunate: everyone seems to think Office Hours are a great idea, but nobody's going. Only two of us showed up. Apparently, that's been the trend, lately.

Regards,
Max

Christian Roy

Mar 8, 2013, 11:09:49 AM3/8/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hello Maxime,

My client scheduled something on that day and I couldn't go.  I won't be able to go every time.
I plan to go the next time when it's during the day.

Maxime Camirand said the following on 08/03/2013 10:25 AM:

Maxime Camirand

Mar 11, 2013, 11:49:02 AM3/11/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

The event was accidentally deleted from Notman's calendar, but I got it re-added. Montreal.rb Office Hours is indeed going to happen this coming Wednesday at 18:00. See you there!

Regards,
Max

Maxime Camirand

May 14, 2013, 11:25:39 AM5/14/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

Updates on Office Hours will now be posted through @mtloh on Twitter.

See you tomorrow morning at 9!

Regards,
Max

ag...@roca9.com

Jun 10, 2013, 9:17:42 PM6/10/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Did someone go last wednesday?

I was there but couldn't find anyone else
I even asked the guys from the other startups working at notman house, but nobody knew anything.

Maxime Camirand

Jun 11, 2013, 9:56:46 PM6/11/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what's been happening for the last two weeks. I usually
go every week, and there's always people, but I've been away for work.

Felipe Goulart de Seixas

Jun 11, 2013, 10:30:40 PM6/11/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I've said that I would go on the website but unfortunately I had a personal problem to solve.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Montreal on Rails" group.

Richard McGain

Jun 11, 2013, 11:40:42 PM6/11/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I have also been away for work. I should be back either next week or the week after.

It looks like you decided to pick a bad week to start attending!

Richard

Maxime Camirand

Jul 3, 2013, 7:37:40 AM7/3/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

Come to Office Hours tonight! 6pm at Notman.

If you're planning on coming, go to rubyofficehours.com and click on "signup with github" to signal your attendance.

Momentum! Hype! Lean synergy pivot velocity traction!

Richard McGain

Jul 3, 2013, 6:13:24 PM7/3/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Major event happening downstairs but I am in the conference room upstair if anyone is looking for ruby office hours.

Maxime Camirand

Jul 10, 2013, 9:57:37 AM7/10/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
No Office Hours tonight due to a scheduling conflict at Notman House. Office Hours resume as normal next week.

Best,
Max

Maxime Camirand

Jul 13, 2013, 12:05:33 PM7/13/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,

Come to Office Hours on Wednesday at 6pm! See who's coming and signal your attendance at rubyofficehours.com

Best,
Max

Andy Maleh

Jul 13, 2013, 1:55:28 PM7/13/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
I plan to make it next Wednesday at 6pm. Looking forward to hanging out with my Montreal Ruby on Rails peeps!

Andy

Felipe Goulart de Seixas

Jul 17, 2013, 6:24:19 PM7/17/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Is anyone here in notman?

Maxime Camirand

Jul 17, 2013, 6:25:25 PM7/17/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com

Be there in 5. Rain slowed me down

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Montreal on Rails" group.

Maxime Camirand

Jul 23, 2013, 8:06:42 AM7/23/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hello, group!

Come to Office Hours tomorrow morning at 9! Register your attendance and check out who's going at rubyofficehours.com

Best,
Max
Hi guys,

Maxime Camirand

Jul 30, 2013, 6:42:30 AM7/30/13
to montreal...@googlegroups.com
Hi, group!

We had some problems getting added to the Notman calendar this week, but the upstairs conference room IS reserved for tomorrow (Wednesday) at 6pm.

So: Office Hours is HAPPENING tomorrow at 6.

Register at rubyofficehours.com !

Best,
Max